Monday, July 21, 2008

Commissioned Art

As always, click on photo for a larger view

This piece of magnificent artwork now sits in my home. A couple months ago I saw a similar piece of stained glass on a blog (of the gal I linked to before who is raising funds for Doctors without Borders for Ethiopia food shortage). I loved the piece and the significance of the African sunset so I contacted the artist and 6 weeks later, I have my own unique piece. Having reveled in a fair share of sunsets throughout Africa, I have to say it is one of my favorite times of day (sunrise being the other). The sun sets quite early in Kenya (about 6pm) and there were many nights when I would be returning from work, riding the matatus then walking home while the sun was setting. More memorable were the nights in Loitokitok (southern Kenya) when I was playing with the kids at the girls' home after dinner--basketball, hair braiding, just shooting the breeze--as the sun was setting. Or, one of the many sunset car trips I took while working for WV--heading back to the hotel at sunset, riding through the African countryside, with a scene similar to the one in the glass. The hilly mountains remind me of northern Ethiopia, on my trip in 2006, while the tree reminds me of Kenya.

It is really a perfect mix to remind me of the beauty of such a place. The window will eventually be mounted as a true window in our front entryway, for all our guests to see as they arrive at our home. The glass will be in the boys' room though (just the way our house is situated)--I'm glad our sons will grow up seeing this scene in their room every time they go in an out. Africa is very significant part of our family story and this is a small tribute to that. A huge thanks to the artist, Margaret, who took the time to make such a personal and well-crafted piece that will surely be treasured.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. Love it. And you.
What a beautiful sight for all...M

Chris and Cassie said...

That is incredible! What a gift to your family, and all who visit!

Laurzie said...

Beautiful! I need to go check out the designer's site.