Sunday, July 13, 2008

Baptized


Two Sundays ago our boys were baptized at our little church. It was a very special day for our family as we claimed God's unfathomable love in our boys and my nephew's lives--something they can't earn and that no one and nothing can take away from them. It was neat to reflect on the meaning of baptism as we prepared for this day, recognizing that being baptized as an infant assumes that we do not 'choose' to be loved by God, rather we are by nature of being human. We hope and pray that as our boys grow older that they will love Jesus in return, but their baptism was a symbol to us of God's unconditional love for them just for being who they are.

Mark and I chose special verses for boys that we read to the congregation before they were baptized.

Ashenafi: Ephesians 3:14-19

“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”

Torin: Ephesians 1:16-19

“I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he as called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for those who believe."

Ashen being baptized by James B.

Renee baptizing Torin (who was sucking his thumb)

Isaac, waking up from a nap to find water on his head!

It just seemed like a totally divine day. All of our immediate family was there, plus my uncle Walt and Grandma C, and we had a fun after party at our house. It was also really special to share this day with my sister and her son. It was also the anniversary of the day we met Ashen, so we had that to celebrate too. We had Ethiopian food for lunch, along with some traditional brunch fare. Then came pool time!

Our entire immediate family (we had to wake TT and Ashen...hence the glaze) in the SAME place!

Oh my, I don't know if I've ever seen SO much splashing!

Hooray! Uncle Scott moved home from CA with his lovely fiance just in time--good luck on the Bar Exam next week Scottie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A splashing fine way to celebrate such a special day.

Anonymous said...

This is great. Baptism is such an important day! I am glad you had fun afterwards and that the whole day was filled with joy and love.