I finally got some answers on Friday. Our travel is being held up due to one piece of paper--B's relinquishment decree which was completed on the day she came into care, months ago. A piece of paper that exists and simply needs to make it from Ethiopia to our agency in Oregon by fax, email or FedEx. A paper that has been requested for over a month and has not been sent possibly because it has been stuck in a pile of other papers needing to be translated. A piece of paper that then needs to be verbally signed off on by a person in our state. Then we're good to go and our papers can be submitted to the US Embassy in Addis. Sounds simple? Well, nothing is simple in adoption. I got so far ahead of myself thinking things were smooth sailing, and never anticipated this roadblock. I didn't even know this piece of paper had any bearing on travel.
In a miraculous situation, the piece of paper might have arrived by email or fax over the weekend or early Monday morning, then signed off on verbally on Monday by the Officer in our state, and Ethiopia would be notified Monday (their Tuesday am) about our readiness to travel and then they could submit our case to the Embassy that day--which happened to be the absolute last day to submit paperwork in order for us to travel on May 26th. I am a woman of faith, but my faith does not seem to be strong enough to believe this could happen. If yours is strong enough, you can pray for that on our behalf. I feel so weak in saying that, but I am simply out of hope.
For those who haven't traveled this road, waiting 2-4 more weeks may seem like no biggie. But the idea of my daughter being in an orphanage for an extra month due to one stinking piece of paper (which will be sent and will be approved--it's not a matter of if, but when--which makes it harder to stomach) is not okay with me. We are also missing out on precious time with her...I am having a hard time even looking at her pictures because I miss her too much.
The other side of me says that everything usually works out, and often times those things we wished we'd had (like earlier travel) end up not being the best case scenario and traveling with another group later might just be what's best for us. One of my friends said that maybe I'm going to win the Lotto on June 2nd--a day that I should have been in Ethiopia. I liked that idea. Of course, I'm trying to think of all the reasons why this could be positive--just so I don't spiral into anger and negativity. Yes, I will enjoy extra time with my boys, yes, I will take advantage of the "norm" that I'm so comfortable with here in our little family, and yes, I will have extra time to pack and get organized (though I'm over half packed). And a big positive would be if we get to travel with our good friends, Cami and Ryan. That would be very very good.
6 comments:
Well... I've got to put my strength somewhere because I'm currently "done" putting it in our wait, so I will pour it into praying for you and that piece of paper to be ready to go on Monday!!!!
Longing for a child is so difficult to bear... so YES, an extra 2-4 weeks of waiting will be tough. PRAYING, PRAYING, PRAYING!!!
It can happen! Praying for you.
I know it's so hard to think of waiting when we shouldn't be. But that is my secret hope in all of this...that in fact we will get to travel together! Go get our girls together. Bring them home together. Just sooner is better than later....I'm praying!
So frustrating that a piece of paper delays the whole process. 4 weeks is indeed a long time when you're waiting to see your child. I'm praying for you, and for this process to speed up.
Praying for big things this morning, and knowing it will be as it should!
So frustrated for you! I was sure you'd get it no problem. I'll be praying you still sneak in there, it can happen!
Post a Comment