Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quilt Raffle for AHOPE


There are way too many unknowns that are wigging me out at the moment, including no referral (referral paperwork still not received by our agency), the very distinct possibility that we will have (I would have said "get" but with two boys it's difficult to drop everything and leave, not to mention it's incredibly expensive) to travel to Ethiopia twice--first for court, then to bring her home, a 2 week federal jury summons that arrived yesterday and takes place in April, and Mark's dear grandfather who was recently diagnosed with cancer.

With all this anxiety running at high levels in my blood, I decided to channel my overwhelmedness into this baby quilt. This is where you, my dear readers come in. This is "THE" year of babies, at least in my world. In our small church alone, there are 16 babies expected between now and August. I thought about giving this away, but decided that instead it could be a tool to provide some critical medicine to children living with HIV and AIDS in Ethiopia who live at AHOPE (an orphange for HIV+ children). They are in need of antibiotics, various topical creams, tylenol, vitamins, and more.

When we travel to Ethiopia, Mark and I hope to pack a couple bags full of medicine, which we can access at better than wholesale prices through a medical misssion organization. We bought prescription medicine from them in 2007 for the CHSFS care center and it worked wonderfully.

So, to get a jump start on that goal, I'm raffling off this beautiful (can I say that even though I made it?) quilt in various shades of pink and blue. It measures 36"x45" and would be perfect for a baby or toddler, or as a lap quilt. As I sewed the binding on last night, I had it on my lap and it was very cozy. I'm making the crazy assumption that *everyone* knows someone birthing or adopting a baby in the near future!

You can buy tickets by clicking on the Paypal button on the sidebar. Paypal accepts all forms of payment including credit/debit/bank account transfer, and you don't need an account with Paypal to donate, you can do a one-time donation. Ticket prices are:

$5 for one
$10 for three
$20 for eight*
*(hint, hint, this is the BEST deal)



Remember, this is for a great cause, and I'm sure if you're the lucky winner you will find someone who would gladly cuddle with it.

Please leave a note in the comments letting me know how many tickets you bought--I'm hoping I will just be able to track everyone using Paypal, but since I've never done this before, I'd rather be safe and not leave anyone out!

Raffle will end next Wednesday, (St. Patty's day)-- March 17th. The Winner will be selected at random by my boys and announced by Friday, March 19th. Good luck everyone!

All funds donated will be used to purchase medicine for children in Ethiopia. You will not receive any tax-deduction for this donation--we are not a 501(c)3 :-)

20 comments:

George said...

I love the quilt...and what a great cause!

I donated $20...so put me down for 8 entries please.

And I think your dates are a little off, right? Is the drawing on the 12th or the 19th?

Deirdre said...

Sarah, this is GORGEOUS! What a great outlet for all the uncertainty in your life right now.

Put me down for 8 tickets. :-)

Heidi said...

It's a stunning quilt Sarah. You're very creative! I gave $10 for 3 entries. Great idea.

Unknown said...

Can you tell me where you get the wholesale medicine. We just got back from ethiopia and would like to buy some for others to bring. Thanks.

Brooke said...

Looks awesome!

Jean T said...

What a beauty! I'll buy 8 chances for $20. I think I'll send you a check to avoid the paypal fees.

What a good idea for channeling your anxiety. You have good reasons to be anxious. I'd be a little worried if you weren't.

love you guys,
Dede

Anonymous said...

Auntie Cynthia is in for 8.

Anna said...

Hi Sarah!

Tarren and I just bought 8 tickets through PayPal! what a great idea! You should make another one and raffle it off for the additional trip to Ethiopia. Can you believe that? "wow" is all we could say when we read it!

Praying that this is YOUR week!

Anna and Tarren Bragdon

Leila Wylie said...

Oh man, adopting from ET, boys close in our age to our boy AND you quilt? Could you move to Virginia so we can be friends, please? I need a quilting buddy!

cathy said...

8 tickets for me please!!!! I donated with PayPal. So easy. And that quilt is stunning!!!

Anya said...

Beautiful, Sarah, just beautiful!! I just donated $20, so please put me down for 8 tickets.

While I hope I win it...what a great cause, so I'll be just as happy if I don't. :)

Praying for you guys!!!

Liz said...

What a great idea!

Heidi said...

Put me down for 8 tickets too!!

xoxo
H

Anonymous said...

Chandra is in for $60- 24 tickets!

Mark and Sarah said...

Linda- $20

mary said...

Wonderful idea Sarah - and I love the quilt!

I'm in for 8 tickets.

Love you,
m

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

8 for mom. xoxooxo.

Anonymous said...

$100 Granny Annie

Anonymous said...

3 Tickets for Tricia- $10 :-)

Anonymous said...

Kristin H- $5
Susan B. $20
Kristen S- $20