Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rare Moments

Parenting two boys 14.5 months apart and both under 3, is wild, not always in a good way. Challenging might be a better choice of words. Most days I want to tear my hair out at one time or another (or three). They are demanding, needy, mischievious, whiny, very messy, short attention spanned (I like how I made that into a verb) and did I say needy?

I am enjoying rare moments of solitude as they spend time together without me more often in the last month. Usually this involves them closing themselves into dark rooms, or closets, and often in the bathroom where Ashen can now turn on the sink (and today decided to put a roll of toilet paper in it). Sidenote: I am extremely impressed that my 2 year old had the wherewithall to put the toilet brush and open garbage can (what were we thinking?) in the bathtub so his little brother could not eat them...again, a moment of genius for him. In any case, I try to just enjoy the minutes of (scary) silence as they play alone, knowing I'll most likely find a huge mess or a welt when I next see them, but honestly, it's worth it.

Yesterday, I came upon this scene after an unusually long silence, though. This was surreal (the distance between them, the fact they weren't both clamoring after the same book, the fact they were both reading at the same time, that they weren't needing me, etc, etc;) and made me feel like I can do this parenting thing.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

What is surreal and lovely and wonderful is how beautiful they both are... inside and out. xo

Anonymous said...

Hooray for lots of books!

-H

Amanda said...

I like how you said the silence was wonderful yet scary. Understood. I miss you and need to get myself up there!

Jen said...

Such grown up little boys! They are so cute I could just eat them up.

Anonymous said...

Jen, you said it for me....gorgeous might define them, but is an understatement. You really ARE doing the parenting thing, Sarah; it sure looks good on them.....

Johanna said...

Thank you for sharing, Sarah. From the outside your life seems so organized and perfect -and it is in many ways, I am sure!- but it is good to have a dose of reality from time to time. And if your boys end up reading together, you're doing something very right. You can do this parenting thing! When I'm a parent I will look up to you because you are an inpiration and great example of what a mom should be like.

Mama Papaya said...

Forget the camera! That is when you just slowly back up and go make yourself a cup of tea. Or a glass of wine. It is noon somewhere.

Anonymous said...

You amaze me!! I hope those moments of solitude come more frequently and with less concern for the aftermath soon!! :)

`anya