I referenced the tart that started our referral day. It had been recommended by several of my well-respected friends, and the recipe had been flying all over the blogosphere and facebook. I think I have beautiful Deirdre to thank for the initial introduction. It was supposedly one of those have to try kind of recipes. Well, I think you can tell by my tone that this tart that I began making before 7am as a way to distract myself from the ever anxious feelings I was having, did not help those anxious feelings but rather escalated them to the point that I just had to stop at 8:30 (please tell me, who the heck has the patience to spend 1.5 hours making a tart!?! And I was only half way done!) because I was beginning to fume. This is one of those recipes that takes t-i-m-e. You haev to caramelize onions for about 40 minutes, make a homemade tart crust, roast cauliflower in the oven for 35 minutes. You get the drift.
When I realized how much work this tart was taking, I decided I had to document it to justify its space and existence. I knew once it was out of the oven, it would soon disappear and be a terrible yet delicious memory.
Now, suddenly, I'm seeing obvious parallels between this painstaking tart and our adoption process. I liken the homemade tart crust to the homestudy process. The wait for referral with the painfully slow process of carmelizing onions. The second trip to the grocery store for that mascarpone cheese to our change in agencies. The slow roasting and constant checking of cauliflower to the insanity of carrying my phone around on vibrate for 3 months. And then finally, after the gruyere and mascarpone melted with the onions and cauliflower drizzled in truffle oil, it turned into this intensely rich and savory tart that began to make all that work seem very worth it. I suppose using this analogy it certainly was. Do I still remember the sometimes excruciating wait to see our sweet girl's face. You bet! Do I know that the wait was necessary and worth it? Of course.
End of analogy.
Meet and Make The Tart
(you might just have a very very very good day if you do)
When I realized how much work this tart was taking, I decided I had to document it to justify its space and existence. I knew once it was out of the oven, it would soon disappear and be a terrible yet delicious memory.
Now, suddenly, I'm seeing obvious parallels between this painstaking tart and our adoption process. I liken the homemade tart crust to the homestudy process. The wait for referral with the painfully slow process of carmelizing onions. The second trip to the grocery store for that mascarpone cheese to our change in agencies. The slow roasting and constant checking of cauliflower to the insanity of carrying my phone around on vibrate for 3 months. And then finally, after the gruyere and mascarpone melted with the onions and cauliflower drizzled in truffle oil, it turned into this intensely rich and savory tart that began to make all that work seem very worth it. I suppose using this analogy it certainly was. Do I still remember the sometimes excruciating wait to see our sweet girl's face. You bet! Do I know that the wait was necessary and worth it? Of course.
End of analogy.
Meet and Make The Tart
(you might just have a very very very good day if you do)

2 comments:
It was delicious and Baby B will be delicious too ; )
xoxo
H
Love the analogies....perfect. I just might take your word for the tart :-)
Post a Comment