Though Mark and I have been generally satisfied with CHSFS, of course, like any agency there have been things that have bothered us or that we do not agree with. I'm not going to go into detail here, but it's safe to say that if we were starting the process all over again right now, we would not choose CHSFS.
So, we decided to take a step back and think about what we would do if we were starting our adoption right now. Though it would mean starting over in many regards, we were only a quarter of the way into our wait with CHSFS, so we felt like we had the flexibility to make a big decision like this. We considered several agencies for this adoption in January of this year. Out of 22 agencies operating in Ethiopia, there were three agencies on our short list that we considered to be top in terms of ethical adoption practices, humanitarian efforts, and level of child care in Ethiopia. We reconsidered the two we didn't choose and made many many phone calls, did more research, talked and prayed and finally decided to switch agencies to Holt International. It's amazing the peace I felt after we made the decision, where I had been feeling very anxious and unsettled.
Holt has been around since the 1950's, but has only been operating in Ethiopia since early 2008. Like CHSFS in the earlier days of their Ethiopia program, the wait at Holt is considerably shorter than what we were anticipating now at CHSFS. Shorter, as in a couple months (or less) to referral. Honestly, I had to do some major research to figure out why Holt's wait is so much shorter than CHSFS and came out realizing that Holt's program is just so much smaller (there are only 6-7 families on their waiting list right now...we're #7). Holt recently established a relationship with a second orphanage in the southern region of Ethiopia, and also began partnering with a new Care Center in Addis that allows them more capacity.
One thing I really like about Holt is their commitment to family preservation. Holt says that is their #1 goal, which may seem counter to adoption, but is in fact the essence of ethical adoption--since it should truly be the last resort for a child, but often is not. My heart aches when I think of children who are relinquished because their parent cannot afford the $5 needed monthly for medicine for their malaria (so that they can work and provide for their child), or because they need a $150 microloan to reestablish an ailing business (so they can provide for their child). Oh the injustice of a parent who longs to keep and cherish their child, but cannot due to poverty. This cuts to my core.
So, all this means that hopefully we will have good news of our Little Miss in the next couple months (did I just write "couple months!?").
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
20 comments:
Wonderful! I cannot wait to see how it goes for you since we are considering Holt from our next adoption.
Hi, I'd love to know what finally made you switch. I will be a first time parent and have been waiting with CHSFS for 6 months now, and am disheartened at the lengthened time.
Also wondering if it was costly to switch at this point?
Thanks so much.
P
Hi Sarah and Mark-
We're so happy for you and can't imagine how difficult it must be to wait. 2011?!?!!? I can't imagine! I am so glad that you feel good about your new decision and we cannot wait to hear good news soon!!!
Sean
Oh congratulations on making that decision! Sounds amazing and so exciting! I can't wait to keep hearing the updates!!!
P-Feel free to email me at ashenafismom(at) gmail.com
Sarah
Wow! Very exciting!! Can't wait to hear the news of you having a daughter!!! Sounds like it could be SOON!!
Oh sweetie, I am so excited for you. How amazing!!!!! You must be crazy with glee. I have walked down your EXACT road (only we switched from another agency to CHSFS) and that's how we adopted Z. God knew all along, He was just getting the detail ready.
Have I mentioned I'm EXCITED?????
you will know who your little girl is so soon!
What a big decision! It was very brave of you to step back and reassess rather than continue on the path that didn't feel right. Wishing you a speedy road to Little Miss!
Yeah!! Great post. So thrilled to be on this journey with you!
Sarah and Mark --
Good luck with the wait with Holt. I hope it goes smoothly and swiftly. We're looking forward to hearing your good news (and much sooner!)
Great news! One of John's family friends growing up adopted with Holt. The mother went on to work there, and has been there for years. From all accounts, it's a great agency.
Waiting and praying with you! Hang in there.
Ah! Didn't see this until now! So exciting! I am glad you feel so much better after making the switch, too. I can't wait to meet the new Little Miss!
Great news! A couple of months is really just around the corner (aka a lifetime when one is waiting, I know...!). Can't wait to hear more about the process and to finally read about a referral :)
Hi! Welcome to Holt! :) We are working with them and we love them. We're waiting to bring home our own Little Miss and kiss her sweet face for the first time hopefully early this summer.
Ohh goodie!! I've been waiting to hear a baby girl update. You know I think and pray for you often, but I am always less apt to pry or inquire until YOU share your news. From my parents/families own journey through foster care and the adoption process I've just always considered it a very special, private and privelaged process. I wait excitedly for the good news... ;) Love your family and cannot wait to see the sweet girl God has set His eyes upon ~ He already knows your daughter...how exciting! ly Kelly
Sarah,
You already know how much respect and admiration I have for you as a woman, mom, and friend. I can't imagine how stressful these past few months have been for you and Mark with all of the changes going on in Ethiopian adoption and specifically with CHSFS. I just wanted you to know how amazing I think you are for having the courage, judgment and conviction to stand up for what's right in the face of what's easy. You are a remarkable human being!
No words. Just a smile. For you and the changing face of your family.
Congratulations on your daughter & congrats on choosing Holt. Our first two are adopted from S. Korea and through Holt as well. Wonderful, wonderful agency. I can't say enough good things about them! We are in the process right now to add baby number 3 to our family, from Ethiopia this time. I'm planning on following your blog to chart your progress & share in your joys!
Heather in OR
Post a Comment