Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Tale of Halloween

It's almost 9pm and the kids are tucked in bed (one may or may not be sleeping yet) and the boys' first "real" Halloween is over. Whew! What a day!

It started with a Halloween Birthday party for Ashen's best friend from school. The boys happily ate their cupcakes on the trunk of our car. Can we call that "trunk or treat?" We left a bit early and took the cupcakes "to go" which to the boys meant "as soon as possible--like right now on the trunk."

Grandma Jean came over to join us on their first trick or treating adventure and kindly bought some pumpkin buckets which were promptly used as internal megaphones.

I know everyone has been dying to know how the costume saga ended...drumroll please...with another DRAGON! Yes, this one finally fit (size 4-6x!). I was not on a quest for another dragon, but I guess the dragons are on a quest for me. And a pumpkin--with a kid who refuses to wear anything abnormal, a romper was pushing it. I know, a green hat would have topped off the outfit, but hats are a no go.
We headed out around 6pm for our first annual trick or treating around the neighborhood. Gosh, I admit all of the excitement of Halloweens of my youth revisited me this evening. The rush of the candy, the race against the night to see how much candy we could obtain, the anticipation of who might open the door at haunted looking houses, and the fun of being outside after dark. It was all that and more because I got to see it through the eyes of my boys too. Let me preface by saying that we're not health nuts, but my boys don't see candy. Almost ever. So to taste candy (which they did at dinner when I was prepping them for the evening's activity and what would happen when they said "trick or treat") and to experience the realization that every door they knocked on would provide them with more of these delicious nuggets was thrilling. I was proud of their confidence as they said "trick or treat" and charmed many a'lady with their "thank you" and "bye-bye" which you have to experience to understand. Torin and Mark knocked off after a block and a half, and Ashen, my mom and I continued for another block and a half. Ashen was sure he could fill his bucket and even took some extra candy at a few houses "for Torin." What a nice big brother. He couldn't wait to show his dad how much candy he had in his bucket and dumped it on the floor to count it (Grandma's idea) which was reminiscent of years gone by. I am so excited for the birthday and holiday season ahead because Ashenafi is old enough to "get it" now and the wonder of it all is so contagious.



Dad posing with the boys because they were acting too crazy to stand close to each other!

The loot--we have generous neighbors...look at those full size bars! I think I got just one of those as a kid--and I still remember which house it was. The folks with the big bars were begging us (adults) to take some for ourselves (so they weren't left with all the leftovers, I'm sure!). I'm shocked to say that the boys only had two pieces of candy and wanted more but didn't cry when we said we'd have more tomorrow--whew! I'm sure next year will be a different story. Candy Innocence was officially lost tonight.

10 comments:

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

Though I was there, it is fun to relive it through your post! I've been pretty bah-humbug about Halloween since you were kids, but I must say it was fun to see it hasn't changed at all. So much fun.

Mama Papaya said...

We'll all need the extra hour of sleep tomorrow to recover from today. Now if only we can convince the kids to give it to us!

Happy Halloween. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing! We did not have a single trick-or-treater in Boston, however, I must admit I was not too disappointed to have all of the candy to myself. Would have loved to have a dragon and pumpkin stop by though!

Sean

Anonymous said...

What a fun adventure! It looks like A really liked his costume ; )

xoxo
H

Kelly said...

Ahh...I agree...too much candy...too much loot...I think I'm going to have the kids go through all of it and pick out a pick zip lock baggie each to tuck away for home movie night and than the rest is getting hauled down to the police dept with Remie for officers/staff!! TOO MUCH!! :)

George said...

Great pics, great costumes. My son was a giraffe this year. I love the bucket photo - sooo funny!

jayme said...

adorable! I love Halloween, and it's especially fun when your own little trick or treaters really get into the spirit of it!

I have to admit that I was pretty sad that we didn't get any trick or treaters at our house, though.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you all had so much Fun! I love the pics of your adorable boys all dressed up.
Melanie

Jean T said...

I ADORE the photo of Mark and the crazy boys!!! much love, A. Dede

Briana said...

Hi Sarah-- Thanks for your comments AND thanks for Halloween 101... Next year will surely be a crazy new adventure at our house! I love seeing it all through your family's lens. We're really excited for your news about waiting for another referral from Ethiopia! Your boys are amazing. They don't come ANY cuter!

Briana & Sascha