Sunday, January 04, 2009

Obsession

Ashenafi's new obsession is something we didn't really see coming (no pun intended!). He's always liked to link cars together into a train and push them around the house. His first train came on Christmas. A "Henry" the tank-engine I picked up at our local toystore because I was sure he would *like* a real train. That was soon followed by a gift from my dad and stepmom of a whole Thomas the Tankengine trainset complete with a caboose and track. A HUGE hit to say the least. He spends hours a day with that track now. It's really fun to watch him concentrate on putting tracks together and linking trains up, and his genuine thrill watching the train go over the little bridge.



However, I made the mistake (hindsight only, of course) of picking up a Thomas the Tankengine DVD at the library last week. It fast became an obsession. "Watch the Train Show??!" was asked incessantly until I gave in and let him watch it on repeat. Sidenote: What a boring show! I cannot believe how terrible the narration and scenery is. I don't know what kids like about it, really. Today, we made a special (early) trip to the library to return it TOGETHER and I let him drop it into the box so he could say his proper goodbye and remember where it went. After I rocked him tonight and put him in bed, almost asleep, he said "Trainshow bye-bye at library?" YES! Goodbye, Trainshow. Good riddance. Makes me sad I can't love everything my baby does, but a mama has to draw the line somewhere.




Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

jayme said...

Ashenafi and Elijah would be fantastic friends. Lij's train has now completely taken over our entire home, and I am bound and determined to not become one of those people with train track running through every single room.... argh!

And I absolutely agree about Thomas. Cannot stand that show. Thus far we've done pretty well with redirecting the twins when they see pictures, but I'm sure character obsession will happen eventually...

Anonymous said...

So when do you take a trip on a train? love to all, A Dede

Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Ugh, I totally agree about Thomas. Luckily Emma has not been hooked by that one, either. But Ashen looks like he is having lots of fun with the new trains, yahoo!

Anonymous said...

must be like a meditation tape for him; way too cute, as usual!

Deirdre said...

Maybe Ashen, Elijah, and Sidamo can have a Thomas retreat. Seriously obsessed!