Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Big News



I'm going back to work!! Yes, out of nowhere I accepted a half-time job share position at my previous employer, in the same department, working with many of the same awesome people. My job share partner is someone I met at the company about 10 years ago and she and I were fast friends and she will be so great to share the job with. I will be working two and half consecutive days a week and I am thrilled. It's perfect. So perfect, that I know it was meant to be.

I was not even contemplating going back to work. My subconscious was, though. A few weeks before I was contacted about this job, I had a dream that I went back to work at the same company and had a fanfare type welcome. The President even pulled me aside on my first day to find out why I had stayed home for four years and to find out if there was anything he could do to make my new job there better. I woke up grinning. It was surreal. It was so 'real' and impacting, I even told my close friends that evening.

I truly missed working. I packed it away though, into the corner of my brain that knew that some day (when my kids were in elementary) I would be able to go back to work and reclaim some of myself that I left there. I felt guilty thinking about going back to work when they were young if I didn't have to. Like I was choosing myself over them. I don't have to work. But I'm going to, and I have no regrets (yet!). I already feel giddy thinking about rediscovering some of myself that I left behind when I became a mother, and believe it will make me a better mother.

I loved my job. I loved the people I worked with. It was close to my dream job. I was a project manager and Iworked in an office close to our home, but I traveled a few times a year to developing countries mostly in Africa, meeting staff who did incredible holistic community development work to make lives better for the poor. They literally changed whole communities. It was inspiring in a way that is hard to describe unless you see it. It's an organization that I can throw my whole weight into knowing that I am passionate about the work in my core. It's so much more than a paycheck for me. It's more of a calling. I know that sounds kind of radical, but truly, I feel like I've been called to this kind of work through various events and experiences in my life that led me there.

When we brought Ashen home, I knew I wanted to stay home with him for a good chunk of time, and then I told my boss that I'd be willing to come back if he could offer me something part-time. Nope. The company was not flexible four years ago and job shares were unheard of and part-time just as much. It's not much more common now. There is only one other job-share in the whole office (of 800-1000 people) and a few more part-timers. So, it was definitely an opportunity not to pass up.

I was worried about how going back to work would affect our family, and our lifestyle and especially my kids. Who would I leave them with? Could I afford to hire someone? Can I trust someone who I don't know? How do I even find a nanny? I felt in my gut that if this was something I felt called to do, that the details would work themselves out. I didn't have to stress about it. My in-laws graciously agreed to watch the kids one day. They are troupers. We are so blessed by them. For the other day and a half I had no idea where to start. Long story short, my good friend Cami's nanny agreed to watch our kids for the day and a half I'll work. She has worked part-time for Cami as her nanny for five years and Cami's work days happen to be different days than I needed her for. Truly a miracle. I am so comfortable with our nanny and trust that she'll do such a great job with my kids. I know this will be a good growing experience for my kids too as they learn to branch out a bit from mama. I expect that I will have more energy to be with them too on the 4.5 days that I will be home with them.

Did I say I'm excited? The pieces have come together in a way that I could never have predicted one month ago. In fact, I don't even think it's been a month since my boss first contacted me. I love it when our plans don't work out...

I start next Monday.

14 comments:

Johanna said...

This has probably been the best piece of news of the past few months work-wise!! I cannot wait to see you often and work with you.
It was indeed meant to be. Actually I use the way you were hired as a reminder that when God has a plan, he makes it work seamlessly and with perfect timing.
Really, I am so happy this works well in your schedule. Welcome back!!!

Johanna said...

When you left you were my boss so don't mind me if I bow once or twice on Monday when I see you!! :)

Cami said...

Yay!! I am so thrilled for you, really. It could not have worked out better. I'm so so happy for you. And I know your kids will be so well-taken care of! Love,

Cam

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo! I'm so excited! Pupusa run asap!!

JMT - You crack me up!!

xoxo
H

Laura said...

You know I'm excited for you...thrilled to the core for you to have this opportunity, to recharge yourself doing something you are equally passionate about. So, so, can't wait to hear how God blesses you and your family's socks off!!

Mama Papaya said...

Sarah! Wow! What an amazing opportunity for you. It sounds perfect. So very, very perfect. Beyond thrilled for you!

Kelly said...

WOWZER girl! That IS big news! It's fun to read your perspective because I am SOOOOO on the opposite end of the spectrum - - 911 Dispatcher for nearly 8 years was an A-mazing career and I thrived and grew and loved every moment of being that "person" for so many people, at times, on the worst day in their life. But, I look at Camden, now ten years old, and so much a bulk of that having been gone (TWELVE hour shifts mind you, so entirely NOT part-time) that I even just told Remie the other day, "I don't ever wanna go back to work!" ha ha I LOVE that you are getting this opportunity you so desire! Thankful for you that all the pieces came together when they needed too! Look forward to hearing more as things progress! xoxoxo

hotflawedmama said...

Excited for you! You sound so happy and it certainly sounds meant to be! SO COOL!

Kristen said...

That sounds so perfect for you! And what amazing work you get to do away from home and at home. A blessed woman you are. And your children. And the millions around the world that benefit from the work you do. Yea!

Anya said...

WOW! That's super exciting news! :)Congrats!!!

Amanda said...

WHAT? Fantastic! Enjoy yourself friend!

apriljahns said...

I am so happy for you!

Deirdre said...

Oh Sarah, this sounds wonderful! Really, I'm inspired just reading about it. Congrats on finding such a perfect fit and for everything falling into place. Can't wait to hear about the old/new adventure.

Cat said...

Congrats on the new job!! It sounds perfect for you and a great balance! I hope you enjoy being back. Let me know if you need an au pair. ;)