Friday, February 18, 2011

Winter's monotony of clouds and rain has given me little inspiration to blog lately. We have a bad case of cabin fever. The kids perpetually push each others buttons, which often results in physical harm, and I feel like a referee, not a parent most days. My saving grace have been the visits from my in-laws who so graciously give me a chance to reconnect with myself once a week--which have been taking the form of weekly chiropractic adjustments, massages and long runs with a good friend. I have also thanked myself a million times over for making a playspace out of the basement, which previously served as a workshop and general catch-all for stuff we weren't using. Now it is a mostly open space with swings, a slide, circus tent, gym rings and plasma cars. The change of scenery is immensely helpful in changing the pace of the day.

The kids (and now hubs) have also been sick with a bad cold for a week. Thankfully my neti-pot prevented me from getting anything for more than 2 days. Sickness throws a wrench in the routine and flow in our lives, and generally makes me feel "off." I've realized since having three kids, that I thrive in a routine. I am a spontaneous person by nature, but there are too many balls to juggle to live a completely spontaneous life right now. Everyone is happier here when we know what to expect. One thing that is throwing me off this morning is that my espresso machine broke. I didn't expect that, and I'm not happy about it. Silver lining, Mark is home today with his cold and has taken the whole machine apart and is dutifully fixing it with his mechanical engineering brain. He knows what's best for him :-)

Another random bit I would be totally remiss not to share, have you hear of a Tangle Teezer??? If you or your child(ren) have curly hair, you must go, no RUN to the nearest Sally's Beauty Supply and pick up one of these $10 brushes. Thanks to my good friend Chandra's enthusiastic nudging, I ran out and got one. And for the first time in nearly four years, Ashen said, "Mom, this doesn't hurt!!" as I brushed his hair. What would normally taken 10 minutes, took all of 30 seconds to detangle. He's even brushing his hair by himself. Something totally unheard of! Since we're in the process of growing his hair out again, this little tool will make it so much easier. Honestly, I had to cut his hair last spring because I couldn't handle the time it took to care for his hair being the length it was. If I had a Tangle Teezer, his hair would still be long (sniff, sniff).

Oh my, Mark just shouted "VICTORY" and the steam wand is working again...so I am rushing to go make my cup-o-goodness.

Have a good weekend, everyone!


7 comments:

Jean T said...

Thank God for mechanical wizard brains who fix espresso machines and invent Tangle Teezers! Sun's out here in the CD & tho it's cold, I hope y'all can play outside a bit today. love, Gr8aunt Bean

Christina said...

Hahahahaha. I don't know why, but something about the "Victory" has me laughing my butt off. Love it. And I may have to go out and pick up the Tangle Teaser, especially since one of the tines on our Kakakiki Komb Brush just broke off.

Laura said...

Wow..that was a close one! Way to go Mark! :-) Glad to see you up and blogging again...maybe you'll inspire me. Miss you!

apriljahns said...

Whew. Close call. Glad the espresso machine is working and hair combing is a breeze now.

Mama Papaya said...

I so could have used Mark with the whole garbage disposal thing yesterday. Oh how I loathe that appliance.

And yay on the Tangle Teezer, right? And neti pots and coffee too. Lots to love in this world. Except the blasted garbage disposal.

cathy said...

that tangle teezer. i'm doubtful but i may have to try it. z won't even let me pat him on the head. literally. there is no combing or brushing going on at all with him. i just chop his curls off once every two months while he screams at me. it's awesome. i do not know what else to do. glad you got your coffee fix. funny how i won't spring for stitches when i cut my finger open but heaven forbid if our espresso machine breaks. we have one, too. so you can still get your magic brew when you visit.

jayme said...

I *must* be doing something terribly wrong with the tangle teezer because while it seems to get universal praise, Izzie absolutely hates it! She's usually great about sitting to get her hair done, but when I tried using the tangle teezer, she screamed insults at me the entire time ("mom! what the heck is that thing? Are you *trying* to hurt me, 'cause you are!"). When I told her that lots of her friends thought the tangle teezer was great, she looked at me incredulously and said "well, do they like pain?" Honestly, she's never given me a reaction like this before...

I feel like the tangle teezer goes through her hair really well, and it feels to me like it's less damaging to her hair than a lot of other things would be. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong!

Both times I've used it, it's been on wet, previously detangled hair that's been separated into small sections. help!