We spent last week basking in the sunny skies Orlando (and running ourselves ragged). Mark had a conference, so we decided to take advantage of the opportunity and create a family vacation. My sister in law, Heidi, kindly came too and lent her much needed hands to our crazy days. Over the course of the week we played several days at the hotel pools, which included a giant pirate ship with slides. I think the boys would say that swimming was the highlight of their week. Both of them could walk throughout most of the pool since it was only about 3' deep in most places. They also loved the "hot bath" (hottub) when things got too cool.
They enjoyed lazy afternoons on the balcony, looking off into the distance at a blimp and licking icicles (popcicles made with water--hehe).
We spent two days at Seaworld, which was fairly nostalgic for me since it was the highlight of my California roadtrip family vacation in 1987. Favorites were petting the manta rays, going through the shark tunnel and the dolphin and Shamu show. Though he's only three, Ashen is quite tall--tall enough to ride his first rollercoaster. Though I regretted taking him the moment we hit the first crest and I saw his terrified face, it was over in 30 seconds and he later declared that he "loved rollercoasters" and begged to go on one the next day at DisneyWorld. We were pretty awed by the size of this beautiful creature.
The adventure continued with a tour de Disney with a day at the Magic Kingdom and a day at the Animal Kingdom. We started off with Pirates of the Caribbean, which was very tame and the boys liked it. Then headed over to Thunder Mountain railroad where the boys and I waited to see Heidi and Mark pop out of the tunnel on "the train."
The highlight for the boys at DisneyWorld was the racetrack where they drove their own cars. We did it at least 3 times, maybe 4. Their faces say it all. Funny enough, this was my sister's favorite ride when she was a kid!
We also did a couple rounds at Buzz Lightyear, though my kids have never seen Toy Story (I think the only Disney movie they've watched is Finding Nemo, which came in very handy at the Animal Kingdom).
The Animal Kingdom had a few live shows, one being Finding Nemo, which the boys had watched several times during the trip (I brought two DVD's, that being one of them) and was really well done.
Highlights included a rafting ride in which we got soaked (notice the other two people in our raft are in ponchos)...
And last but not least, meeting Mickey Mouse himself.
I don't really like writing these documentary(ish) posts, but I do so for the family record, and for our mamas and aunties who love them.
9 comments:
HOORAY! Such a fun trip... I wish I was still there - great post!
xoxo
H
I love Disney World, and reading through this post makes me really want to take my two kidlettes. Hmmm, I think we still have some passes left over from a long ago vacation...
And I've been meaning to call you. Any time in particular work for you?
Yes, Thanks for that! I LOVE documentaries.
I love seeing the pictures and hearing about your trip. What a great adventure. Glad you had fun!
Yes we do. Thanks Sarah!
We were in the area the whole time you were in Orlando! Wish we'd known! Small world again, eh? I just emailed your gmail account about the swiss reunion. Hope you'll be going!
Anna
China, ME
Seems like a really nice trip! Feels only a bit strange to see the sunny pictures - we have loads of snow here and about 20 below, Celcius (-4 Fahrenheit)...
Okay, that looked way less scary than I picture it and really kind of fun. How many times did you fantasize about tranquilizing the children?
Welcome back to the blogger world, you've been missed. It sounds like all in all a great trip! We were in Florida after Christmas and we didn't have near the weather you did and we were afraid to attempt Disney World although you guys pulled it off wonderfully.
I have some gardening questions for ya when you have time :) (pretty please)
Chandra
Post a Comment