Thursday, February 25, 2010

Good News

I spoke with our agency's Ethiopia director yesterday who just returned from visiting their programs in Ethiopia. She told me that they were in the process of putting together referral paperwork for a group of children--including baby girls!! She expected to have the paperwork within "ohhhhh, the next week"!!!

I know better than to get my hopes up too much in international adoption, but this is about as sure of a thing as I've gotten in the last year in terms of an impending referral. I honestly am having a really hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that this is truly going to happen. I have been in a state of limbo in which my mind has tried to convince my heart that this adoption is never going to happen, that we will never have a daughter from Ethiopia, that we might as well withdraw. True. With this news, my heart is starting to soften and I am beginning to believe again and I cannot wait to hear all the news!

I expressed my concerns about the lag in referrals for the last few months--assuring her that I'm not eager to get a referral if children aren't already in care, but my issue lies in kids being in care for longer than necessary due to a slow down in putting together paperwork. I hope our daughter and other children have not been waiting in the care centers for very long. She said she thought they were behind on paperwork for the last few months which was the reason for the slow down in referrals...ugh. Of course, I know there is a lot going on there on many different fronts, so I cannot judge, but my heart hurts for any child staying an extra day without their family to love on them.

I'm oddly less anxious with this news than I was not knowing any news. I am not fixated on my phone and feel much more peace. I am not a good "no info" waiter.

Of course, I'll be keeping everyone posted as soon as our phone rings!

16 comments:

Johanna said...

GREAT news! So maybe next week? That would be brilliant. Please do update us when you know. With this news, I can relax and stop logging on your blog every hour :)

Meg said...

ALMOST THERE!!!! I'm so excited to hear about that beautiful call!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh!!! I promise to not call you during business hours next week! ; )

xoxo
H

Jean T said...

Woot!

The Redman's said...

YEAH!!!! What wonderful news!!! The "news" we got yesterday was that the average wait time went up a month. BOO!!!!

But, I can't wait to hear about the news of your sweet girl :)

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia said...

I am so excited to hear this!!!

Anna said...

I just KNEW that Pat coming back was good news for you guys!!! Can't wait to hear the news.

In other news, we're heading to Boston next week for something thrown by the Swiss Foundation that Tarren is speaking at. (Is that proper English?!?) Anyway, I hope one of these days we'll be at the same event. Both with our new babies!

Chatter said...

I will anxiously wait for next week and hope for some very happy news for your fam! Glad to hear you feel more at peace.

Bethany said...

Props to you for calling Holt and asking! So excited for you!

Heidi said...

Gosh, I'm so excited for you! It's just around the corner!

Cami said...

Super excited to get that call from you....it truly is only a matter of days at this point. You will know your daughter so soon! I am hoping and praying we will continue on our same path!

M and M said...

Yeah, you'll be having champagne at your hose soon!!!! What great anticipation!

mary said...

Yay! So happy for you! Can't wait to see that beautiful girl's sweet face!

Megan said...

So excited for you!!!!

cathy said...

i'm getting a little obsessive--checking your blog every hour!!!!

Cindy said...

So so so exciting! Woot!