and I've spent the last 30 minutes reading it, and it's really good. I've decided that it's time to step my gardening knowledge up a bit, from no informal education to at least a little. For example, I knew that it would have been smart to sow my carrot seeds with sand to get them spaced more, and this magazine confirmed it. I also wish I had known that I was supposed to pinch off my strawberry blossoms for 6 weeks after planting them, to yield many more red delicious nuggets in June. Doh!I dream of growing so much produce that I could have my own weekend farm stand, or just give it freely to the food banks (do they take perishables these days?) or my neighbors. I am expecting 8 heirloom tomato plants this week from a fancy schmancy farm. I placed my order in January, and I was seriously almost too late. They have names like Carmello, Goose Creek, Green Zebra, Fireworks and Mirabell and all I have to say is that they better not disappoint. I better have a lot of tomatos to give away or that was a daggum waste oh funds... I just saw the ad for gallon tomato plans 4 for $10 at our grocery store. Ah well, let's just say I'll be saving those seeds in hopes of a free rebirth next year. Oh, that will be sweet.
Happy gardening :)
2 comments:
You will love the heirlooms! You picked great ones. I have a tough time with big heirlooms, but the smaller ones like you picked have always done great and are so, so, so much better than the 4/10 plants. I promise.
Looking forward to seeing what your garden grows this summer. And do holler if you would like seeds next year. Or if you would like quick to start ones for this year. Zucchini, squash, melons, etc. :) Have seeds, will mail.
Happy growing.
Tricia and I got some info about donating extra produce before we bailed out of the line at the Tilth Plant Sale. Here's a link to the website:
http://solid-ground.org/Programs/Nutrition/Lettuce
Post a Comment