I love this time of year. There is so much possibility with the advent of spring around here. One of my favorite things about this season is gardening. After the withering and death of so many plants over the winter, to see new buds on the hydrangeas, hostas poking out of the ground, peonies barreling forth, and the nurseries finally full of color makes me so happy.
Ashen and I have been busy planting some annuals here and there to add a little more color. He loves working in the garden, and I'm happy to have him. I remember my mom letting me plants a bazillion marigolds in our front yard when I was young (not quite as young as Ash), and I remember the pride of watching them grow over the summer. I hope my boys have an appreciation (if not a love) of gardening as I find it so primal to who we are as humans to plant and tend and harvest. It brings me such satisfaction to watch things I've planted grow.
Our veggie garden is growing too. Almost all the seeds we planted are up and we're hoping for a bounty throughout the summer. I'm a little nervous because this is the first year we've planted almost exclusively with seeds (for variety and to save $$). So far, so good. The seedlings are definitely more fragile this early in the season, though.
Torin also loves being outside, but usually busies himself with digging in the empty raised bed (waiting for that order of heirloom tomatoe plants...mmmm), or digging in the not empty raised bed...grrr. I'm just glad we have space for gardens here and that our soil is darn good= less effort from me!
Oh, and can you see the almost finished exterior behind us!? Here's to hoping we get that done soon :)
Ashen and I have been busy planting some annuals here and there to add a little more color. He loves working in the garden, and I'm happy to have him. I remember my mom letting me plants a bazillion marigolds in our front yard when I was young (not quite as young as Ash), and I remember the pride of watching them grow over the summer. I hope my boys have an appreciation (if not a love) of gardening as I find it so primal to who we are as humans to plant and tend and harvest. It brings me such satisfaction to watch things I've planted grow.
Our veggie garden is growing too. Almost all the seeds we planted are up and we're hoping for a bounty throughout the summer. I'm a little nervous because this is the first year we've planted almost exclusively with seeds (for variety and to save $$). So far, so good. The seedlings are definitely more fragile this early in the season, though.
Torin also loves being outside, but usually busies himself with digging in the empty raised bed (waiting for that order of heirloom tomatoe plants...mmmm), or digging in the not empty raised bed...grrr. I'm just glad we have space for gardens here and that our soil is darn good= less effort from me!
Oh, and can you see the almost finished exterior behind us!? Here's to hoping we get that done soon :)
I love the look of concentration on his face. Gosh, I love this kid.

3 comments:
What a great helper! It's like that song... Coming to the garden it's a beautiful, sunny day... (Sesame Street I think...) Yay!
-H
You look pretty focused yourself! Looks like fun, playing in the dirt. love you,
A. Dede
here is a song for you to find on your Itunes.......Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow! (The Garden Song).... while you are there, check out Teddy Bear's Picnic sung by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman.... hugs to you and yours.
Post a Comment