Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Who IS this scary Santa Man?


Last weekend we took the family on the Santa Train: An old train converted into a festive bounty of lights and garland that zips 15 minutes down the line to an old shack where you (might) have pictures with Santa and some Swiss Miss cocoa and a stale cookie, then a 15 minute whisk back. It's no Polar Express, but it's fun for the kids (and the adults), however I guess we forgot to ever mention Santa to Ashen after his improvisation last year...woops!

As we're standing in line for pictures (you couldn't seen Santa yet), I started to brief him on who we were going to visit, "Um...a fat man wearing fur and a red outfit with a big white beard...and don't worry, you can sit on his lap, this big old man stranger, and smile, then we'll take your picture. He'll ask you what you want for Christmas. It will be fun!" Ha! My boy is quite astute to things that "Scared You", sounds more like "Scare-doo" and would have nothing of it. As I tried placing him on Santa's lap he clung tightly and cried. Oh my, no Santa for this little guy.

On the way back on the train, Santa came with us and handed candy canes to the kids at which point I thought maybe Ashen would be up for a photo, with me this time. Ummm....no. I'm not set on making my kids believe in Santa, so we'll take it one year at a time. As you can see from the pictures, I think this is not a year for Santa.

Torin on the other hand...I think he has Santa wrapped around his finger and will be getting whatever he wants this Christmas (hmmm, now I just have to figure out what he said :)

3 comments:

Mama Papaya said...

I am with Ashen and Figs on this one. Aren't there rules about talking to strangers? Let alone sitting on their laps, taking candy from them and inviting them into the house when you are sleeping?

Anonymous said...

If a strange man snuck into my house with a sack in hand, who spent his time in a remote location, with a workforce powering his industry with no clear means of compensation, and no reportable forms of income, I'd also be a little scared...

Mark and Sarah said...

Who are you, anonymous?