Friday, August 01, 2008

Never say Never...

...with my dad, that is.

Last week I received the oddest email from my brother, Scott, addressed to members of our family:
"Recently over dinner, our father boldly proclaimed he could run (I use the term loosely) a MILE in under 10 minutes. He went on to reminisce over his glory days back in military reserve days when he was apparently number one in his class and ran the mile in under two minutes. Again, I believe this is fabricated. Well folks, I called him on his 10 minute guarantee and he will be put to the test at the middle school track this Thursday, July 31. I would absolutely love for each of you to weigh in on whether you believe he will finish UNDER or OVER the 10 minute guarantee.

p.s.
Dad has told me that his training has consisted of WALKING his dog each night for approximately 15 minutes. Also, he has been eating a lot of Tillamook ice cream."

Responses ranged from:
"I will concur that David was a fitness jock in Boot Camp.(1970?) My remembrance is that he came out #1 in his class OVERALL on the fitness tests. The 2 minute mile I never heard about. Being the competitive sort he is, I say he COULD do the mile in JUST under 10 minutes, but I would advise an emergency vehicle available on site. " ~mom

"Well, I don't know what kind of shape Dad is in or thinks he's in, but I will venture to guess he will run it in OVER 10 minutes or collapse before the finish. ;-) When was the last time he even ran 1/4 mile? Dad, I would like to know what your training has been for this? You might need to have a doctor on site, in case of emergency." ~ Rachel

"er,.......I predict 12:56" ~Gregg

"Ok, here’s some extended family input! (My husband) runs all the time...and though his best college time was a 4 min, 32 second mile...his current time @ age 66 is 7.5 minutes. I’m only sorry I won’t be in town to cheer David on! If he does it, he’ll be a sure bet for a Tillamook ice cream commercial! And...I think Scott should run along with him to provide a little competition and camaraderie!" ~ Barb, family friend

Mark said, "I take issue with this entirely and if it proceeds, I entirely agree with Rachel that a emergency professionals need to be on site. Are we serious here? 10 minute miles are a decent pace for a steady runner...I'm not sure I could even do that right now."

I said, "Dad, do us all a favor, and please don't attempt this just before your son's wedding...we really don't want to have to miss it because you're hospitalized!!!! It's really just not worth it...we know you're an awesome dad, with or without a 10 minute mile."

So I know you're all on pins and needles now...

Yesterday at noon we received this...
"Well, the mile run took place this morning at approximately 11:00 am at the track. Dad shocked the world today (including myself and all of you) when he ran the mile in 9 minutes, 45 seconds. Beth and I were quite impressed and he deserves an "I told you so" to each of you. I think congratulations are in order. Great job, DAD!!! Attached are a few pictures taken with my iphone. Take a look." ~ Scott

Awesome shoes, dad! And yep, Scott ran alongside him for moral support (and probably a lot of jeering)

Only three more laps to go, Dad!

Honing in on the home stretch...here comes a sprint!


"I told you so!"

Dad, you rock--okay, actually you're just really stubborn and competitive (and I think I inherited just a wee bit of that from you)...but GREAT job, nonetheless. I hope this starts a big fitness kick for you. I can see it--NY Marathon 2009?!?

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Wow. This is really impressive, and quite funny!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the results!!

-H

Anonymous said...

Go, David!!! Very proud of you.