Thursday, January 17, 2008

38 Weeks. How Many More?

I've been getting emails lately with titles like, "Any news?," "Labor Signs?" "Thinking of You," etc. I think this is a sure sign that I'm getting closer to delivering :) Unfortunately, other than the little guy dropping, several bursts of energy that have allowed me to clean a closet that needed organizing for 5 years, and starting to feel tired of being pregnant, there haven't been any conventional signs of early labor. I do find myself a bit paranoid that I could be one of the 10% that has their water break at the start of labor...I think that would freak me out. I'd rather have contractions start slowly and ease my way into the reality of labor. I am still excited about labor, just not wanting it to be sprung on me in the middle of the night with a gush of water.

We have our second and final meeting with our doula, Kim, on Saturday. This time we're going to practice a few relaxation methods we learned about in class and Mark and Kim will learn a few massage techniques from a licensed massage therapist who is Kim's backup (in case she's teaching a class during part of my labor). I've heard that in labor you just have to allow your instincts to take over, but it is nice to even vainly "practice" something when it feels so foreign.

Once again, I'm home alone (well, not entirely), and can't post a pic of my belly because I'm not a great self-portrait taker. I'll post one later, so check back. All I can say is that he's (and me!) getting big! My midwife says it could be "any time" but that's what they always say when you're this late in the game. I am hoping no more than 3 more weeks and am hoping for just 1.

(update) Here it is! A true belly pic...and silhouetted at that, thanks to the sunshine.



How about we start a pool. Leave your guess in the comments for when I'll deliver (date) and how big you think he'll be (pounds, oz.) and we'll see who the winner is. Maybe there will even be a prize (middle name after you?)!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be alarmed if his middle name was Heidi!! But my guess is Wednesday 23rd... maybe 6 lbs 9 oz.

Cheers!

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'll go with the 28th (a good date)and 7lbs 6oz...

The Redman's said...

Hi- I saw your comment on my blog. Thanks! I'd love to meet you and your sweet Ashen.... but probably after baby #2 comes and life has settled down some. :) There's quite a huge Ethiopian adoptive population in the greater Seattle area. It's so great! Good luck and my guess is Feb. 1st. :)

aaron said...

I love the new banner picture & blog title, Sarah. My internet's being slow today and as I was loading up your new entry I was musing over the (now old) title of your blog and how it no longer serves it's purpose and then viola! new blog title!

mary said...

I like the new look to the blog! I was going to guess the 28th but since Cassie already guessed that and I'm hoping you'll make it to bible study that night I'll say January 29th, 7 lbs 12 oz. Can't wait to meet him! (or her, I can't remember how sure your ultrasound tech was... :)

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

OK... I guess February 2. (To accommodate Grandma J)and 8# 1 oz.
And your water will break DURING labor. All will be beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I am going for January 22, since his Grandpa's birthday is then, and rather than use my name in the middle (too funny: Andrew Mary Lenssen or something of the sort) you could use Otis (Grandpa Wagner's middle name)...... Since we might like to see this healthy boy sooner than later, he might be less than 8#......I will guess 6.75 pounds, easy birth!

Love the new look and the big boy pix.

patricia said...

Jan 31

7 lbs. 2 oz.

Buddy Patrick Lenssen

Anonymous said...

February 1, 8 lbs. 1 oz.!

Love, Andrea

Kelly said...

You are BEAUTIFUL friend! I was going to be one of the many emailers asking When/What/When?? but thought I'd let you rest. :)
I am guessing January 23rd..7 lbs 4 oz and my vote is still for Evan David Lenssen

take care and I KNOW you'll keep everyone posted.
HUGS! Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, while I hope you go soonish and with a nice and easy middle sized babe, I am going to have to break the mold and say 8lbs 12oz and Feb 2nd (since maybe big babies run in the family? Or am I just a freak?). Love the new look on the blog -- its great!

House of richteR said...

Well...big babies don't run in our family necessarily since Isaac was a mere 4 lbs 11 oz! But, I am thinking this guy is much BIGGER than he was.

8 lbs 6 oz

born 1/24/08

~Rach

Anonymous said...

Everyone might as well quit guessing. Here is the actual info: Scott Ian Lenssen was born on January 27, 2008 at 7lbs 7 ounces.

Love ya!

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

Hilarious votes. I LOVE the picture of you... you look GREAT! xo Mom

Theo B. said...

Hey guys, We hope it's not too late to join the pool. We're guessing:

8lbs. 1oz., Feb. 3, 7:12am.

PS. Sarah, You are one hot mama! Looking goood, looking reeeaaal good.