Four.
He is four today, and so happy to be it.
I am in disbelief that four years could go so quickly. As I was recalling to him yesterday evening, what was happening on the eve of his birth four years ago, I remember it clearly. It is hard to believe how much has happened between then an now. I remember the feeling of the first contractions. I remember going to sleep with the TENS unit and waking up at 7am, and starting real labor. I remember soaking in the tub at the hospital for hours, laughing and talking with my doula and mom and Mark. I remember how hard it was to push his gigantic head out of my body. I remember the surreal experience of feeling Torin Isaiah for the first time, and how I fell madly in love with him as he lay on my chest...like it was yesterday.
He is quite a boy. His teacher told me yesterday at his parent/teacher conference that he is kind, calm, confident and assertive. That is different than I would have described him a year ago. At home is is also quite physical (illustrated in the below video) and loud, likes making any kind of art, and is busy imagining with planes, transformers, legos--while making a lot of sound effects. His favorite activities involve playing with his parents--playing chase being his first choice. His attention span is astounding. This year he has become very focused, and less wild. He is favoring quiet indoor play for physical play (maybe that's because it's too cold right now to play outside). He loves to cuddle when he feels like it (on his terms) and still melts me.
He is also quite sneaky. He has been known to sneak food into the bathroom (yikes!) and my iPad into his room (as we're trying to get out the door, no less). He always has a good excuse as to why he did something. He is a convincing and charming little fellow and definitely gets away with more than he should.
He had his first meal at Red Robin today--including the famous "Happy Happy Birthday" song which stunned him, but with a quick recovery since there was a "giant fluffy ice cream" in front of him when the singers disappeared. He had a playdate with friends this morning, got to watch Cars 2 (a rare midweek treat), and had his choice of dinner: hotdogs, macaroni, strawberries, blueberries and popsicles instead of cake.
He is having his first "kid party" this weekend, which he is really looking forward to--he's been asking about when his birthday is coming since early November when it was Ashen and Bereket's birthdays. He is sure that his Uncle Stephen is buying him 40 different lego sets for his birthday because they looked at them together online a few weeks ago, which to a 3 (now 4) year old, means he is buying them all. He is very interested in Star Wars (though he's never seen the movie).
I may add to this later since I feel like I'm missing a lot of details. My brain is not totally sharp this evening, but I wanted to share a snapshot of this precious little man on his birthday. I am so lucky to be his mom. Life is so much richer and sweeter with him in it.
8 comments:
Happy Fourth, Torin!
Happy birthday little guy!!! So precious!
Happy Birthday, big dude!!!! Four if fabulous.
Big Birthday wishes from the twins (who share the same birthday!!) and Wyatt and Waverly!
Hooray! Happy Birthday TT! Love you!!
xo
H
Love this post! Your posts on your kids are filled with a deep love. Beautiful.
And happy birthday, T!
Happy birthday Torin!
Hey random--do you still have an Etsy shop? What's it called?
Praying for you guys.
I love this boy! This is a great tribute to him.
Post a Comment