Today marked the beginning of both of my boys in school. Sniff. Ashen started in the 4's and Torin in the 3's. Right next door to each other. Not a tear was shed (by them) and so begins a new chapter in our lives.
Ashen could not be cooler about school. He doesn't ask daily to go, but has been primed and ready. He didn't skip a beat today when I dropped him off. In fact, as I unloaded the kids from the van, I realized that I was experiencing the butterflies in my tummy, not them! When I picked him up, he said that he liked all the different activities they did today, but didn't specify what they did (of course). He had a little nervous excitement.as illustrated by the photo below (he had just removed both hands from his mouth).
Bereket is familiar with the school and feels quite comfortable there, as we have gone into the classroom each and every time we drop off and pick up Ashen over the last year. Today she settled in quite nicely in the 5 minutes we were in Torin's classroom and I literally had to peel her off of the Sit'n'Spin kicking and screaming. And screaming some more. She reeeeeeally wanted to stay. Seemed like a repeat of last year, when I had to bribe Torin to leave the classroom! I hope this is a good sign for the future academic success of my children--loving school :-)
Torin has always loved Ashen's class and teachers, which are now his. Last year he gave Teacher Leslie a kiss and hug each day when we left. Leaving him with them was absolutely no problem. When we arrived he asked me to read the daily briefing on the door, and his interest was instantly piqued by the "magnets" which was his first question to Teacher Leslie, "where are the magnets?" in his squeaky robot voice (which is difficult to understand, and I often have to translate when he is in that persona). He was off and totally engrossed within 20 seconds, and I left a minute later...after tearing B off the toy, remember? Torin's favorite part about school today was "the snacks." In fact, he said that he was annoyed that snack time ended so that they could go and spend time outside. What are these snacks, you ask? Why crackers and juice. Torin's two favorite foods (among others). My boys loves them some goldfish.
In recent weeks, the boys talked excitedly about how they'd be in the same school, and Ashen was very reassuring of some of Torin's anxiety. He assured him that whenever he would see him outside during school, he would give him a hug and say hi. Well, when I picked Ashen up, the first thing his teacher told me was that he and Torin saw each other outside while Ashen was playing on the playground and Torin was down on the patio, and they ran to each other and gave hugs before rejoining their classes. Melt.
Here's to a great year at school for my boys. My goal for them is to have fun and enjoy school. Period. If they learn a little, great. It's preschool for goodness sake! Last year before the big K and life gets really interesting. Savoring every moment with my preschoolers.
9 comments:
Sniffling right now in France! I'm so proud of them and what good brothers ;) Love you and see you soon! xoxo H
Look at A's awesome glasses! Xoxo H
Hooray for school! So glad they are so comfortable there. It's awesome they get to see each other during the day. Love Ashen's glasses too!
Aw, I love this! Hugs to those wonderful boys of yours!
are you kidding me with ashen's glasses? he looks like such a young (gorgeous!) man! Love the whole thing.
Love the pictures...glad the boys are off to a great start at school! Love Ashen's glasses! Handsome boy...
Oh how fun! They are absolutely adorable--and Ashen looks great in glasses!
Sarah this post was so sweet! Your boys are such little nerds -and B will follow right in their footsteps. They're so cute -that story about them hugging in the playground? Aaaw.
I heart this. And them. (And the glasses too!)
I hope it is a mellow, blissful kind of school year for your three.
Post a Comment