Sunday, April 03, 2011

Scrambling

Just in time for Easter, we unexpectedly found ourselves with a brood of chicks yesterday. The kids are all too thrilled, and I'm scrambling to figure out how to care for these sweet little things. Three will go and live with Mike and Tricia once they are feathered out, and three will stay here. Since we go through about 18 eggs per week, these will be a great supplement. For now, we have six tiny chicks in our basement, being kid-handled a bit too much. I think they'll be very used to human touch by the time they go out to their coop.




Happy to join my posse of fellow urban farmers, Carrie and Deirdre!

10 comments:

Johanna said...

Wow, I didn't know you had chickens! This is such a neat idea. Hope the chicks get used to the little ones' touch!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! xoxo H

Deirdre said...

Oh how fun! We got ours as 2-week-olds, so we never got the cutie-patootie fluffball stage. Now at 4 weeks they look something like pigeons, so eat it up while it lasts. :-)

Laura said...

ha! Look at you farmer girl! Great idea....

Kelly said...

LUCKY! I toyed with that idea in Kennewick but we were part of a homeowners association so it wasn't permitted...out here though we might think on it. I remember dang near growing up on my grandparent's chicken farm...so fresh eggs would be lovely..we would just have to prep an area for our yard to have them - I'm worried when they molted all the feathers would create a problem with our pool/filter! Good luck! Excited to here how it goes. They are SO teensy - how long til those chicks can produce eggs???

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patricia said...

I hope all the ladies are behaving themselves! I miss them!

Chatter said...

That is so cool that you have chicks now! They aren't allowed in our HOA but I have a wonderful farmer that I get mine from every week. I love our eggs :)

Good luck with the chicks!

Jaime Leigh said...

how cute!

Chatter said...

I miss your blog :(