Monday, September 15, 2008

7 Year Itch?

7 Years ago we married each other for life. I still remember that day so fondly...it started out foggy and turned into a gloriously sunny day on the island. Mark was a mere 22 and I was 23. In retrospect we were mere children, but we were in love to the nth degree. I have no regrets for marrying so young, even though I thought 27 would be the perfect age. For those who didn't know us then, we were married 4 days after the September 11th attacks, a few months after I returned from Kenya after being there for a yearn and dating long-distance. We were physically together during our dating life for only 9 months and dating a total of one year and 9 months. While I was in Kenya we only spoke once a month by phone, but emailed daily. We began dating 6 months before I left for Kenya and knew that we were committed to seeing our relationship through by the time I left. Though it maybe wasn't the ideal way to get to have a relationship, we learned so much about one another through the bazillion emails we sent (I still want to print those out and read through them again!).

The last seven years have been filled with joy and some of life's heartache, but mostly joy. There's no one I'd rather be on this journey with. Mark is my best friend, parenting companion, silly-seeker, my biggest cheerleader, and best pick-me-up. After seeing how God's blessed our last 7 years together, I can't wait to see what He has planned for the next seven...I can't wait--there's no itch here!

We celebrated over the weekend with an amazing dinner out...just the two of us...the TWO of us! We actually had not been out to a romantic dinner alone for probably a year. Sad. So we relished in our time together as my mom babysat our boys. What a treat. Tonight we're having a fresh crab...with the boys. Yum!

p.s. I just learned today that we share our wedding day with one of my all time favorite blogging couples...happy anniversary to Heather and Braydon! Check out their beautiful kids.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! And indeed to 7 ;ore joyful and blessed years :)

Kelly said...

LOVE your whole Family! Its been such a blessing in my life to be friends with such a wonderful woman and to have the memories of our childhood together...such a sweet time for us.

I thought of you both Monday...hope you had a lovely day!

I'll write more soon... :) Promise.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! That was a fun day- beautiful!

-H

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

Love you both, love you together! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the story....seems like a fast seven years......wishing you 70 more with nary an itch. Love to you both, and Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the story....seems like a fast seven years......wishing you 70 more with nary an itch. Love to you both, and Happy Anniversary!

Deirdre said...

Happy Anniversary! You're a beautiful couple and a beautiful family. Loved reading some of your history. Here's to many more years of itch-free marital bliss.

Laurzie said...

Happy anniversary! That's fantastic! I absolutely adore your photo, too. :)