Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring is on its way

We've been battling some winter weather here in the PNW. Unfortunately that makes it much harder to enjoy the spring and makes for some chilly hands and feet for Ashen the Outdoorsman. We recently mounted a swing outside on our big maple tree, and that has made for some fun daily swinging. We have a part just a block away with similiar swings, but somehow having a newborn and a toddler makes it quite difficult to make it the extra 300 yards to the park. So, the backyard swing is perfect. Even more perfect is that I can multitask while swinging Ashen. Those dandilions that were about to go to seed were swiftly plucked yesterday in-between pushes. Maybe there is hope for a vegetable garden this year...I thought I was goign to have to take a year off due to my crazy life, but that would just not seem like summer without fresh lettuce, beans, carrots (okay, for some reason I haven't been so successful with what would seem like an easy to grow veggie), and herbs. In fact, as I write this I'm inspiring myself to get my garden plan going. Planning out what goes where is always a fun puzzle. Since our raised bed is only in the sun about 6 hours a day, those hours are precious to the veggies that need it most...so making sure that little plants are in front, not shaded by tomatoes or bean poles, is essential. I like to have a different garden plan every year--mix it up a little. I would like to start adventuring into new varieties of veggies, so if anyone has one they recommend, let me know. I also haven't done many seedlings inside, and maybe it's too late for that, but if it's not I'd like to try a couple new seed varieties this year. Let me know if you have any favorites and what seed companies are best!

Newfound joy in the backyard swing




Hooray, Daddy's Home! (phew, now I can relax!)

1 comment:

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

I had my best veggie garden ever the summer I was pregnant with you! It is do-able! Fun, fun, fun!
I always did seeds in the garden.

I see Ashen has his new Crocs. Cute!!