Friday, December 29, 2006

There's No Me Without You

I read this amazing book in November and Mark is now reading it too. It is a true story about a widowed Ethiopian woman, Haregowoin Teferra, who takes in orphans (sort of by happenstance) after losing her own adult daughter to AIDS. It is truly inspirational and educational as Melissa Fay Greene weaves the history of HIV into moving stories about children and Haregowoin's journey to overcome the pain of incredible loss and the stigma associated with caring for AIDS orphans. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, regardless of whether you're remotely interested in adoption. I think it's a must read for all of us.

1 comment:

Susy Q said...

I loved this book too...very eye-opening. I've had the pleasure of corresponding with Melissa Fay Greene through e-mail, and she's very nice!

I really enjoyed reading about your Africa trip. My family went to Kenya a little less than two years ago and it was the most amazing experience. I just love Africa and I can't wait to go back!!