Every African country has its slogan...Zambia's is "the real Africa." I'm not quite sure what that means, but I have really enjoyed this country so far. The weather has been sunny (hot) and beautiful. A little summer in my winter is refreshing.
The real beauty of this country, however, is found in its people.
One of the reasons I was looking forward to visiting Zambia is because I spent most of graduate school exploring the ramifications of HIV/AIDS on the children left behind by the disease. Zambia suffers from a high prevelance of HIV/AIDS. Almost 1 in 5 people are HIV+ and in some regions, for example where human migration is high, the rate can climb higher than that. World Vision normally works in the most difficult places, often where prevalence rates are highest. In one community I visited, it was common to have 3-4 funerals per week due to HIV/AIDS, however in the last year or so, ARV drugs have become (more) accessible, and are free from the government. In the last few days, I've met many people living with HIV, who would be dead if it hadn't been for ARVs. Instead they're alive and able to take care of their children. I was so struck by this because I expected to see despair here, but instead I'm seeing hope. It hasn't been all roses, though...the disease has ravaged this country and left many orphans behind. It's too late for many to take ARVs (you have to be at a certain level of health) and there are only four CD-4 count machines (a person's CD-4 count is required to be at a particular level in order to take ARVs) in the country! So, there is still a long way to go on that front.
I met a grandmother who is caring for her seventeen grandchildren. Yes, 17! She was in good spirits and seemed to take her responsibilities for the children of her 5 deceased children in stride. World Vision is helping her build a house for them. Maybe this will help paint the picture a little better...


Aside from the ARVs, the other great thing I see happening here is a movement of home-based caregivers and orphan caregivers. These are people in the community who are being mobilized to reach out to their neighbors who are sick with AIDS or orphans who are unable to care for themselves. Many have been doing this for years, just out of seeing a need and responding, and others are coming to 'the rescue' now. Not to make this a WV commercial, but it's so neat to see what WV is doing to help these caregivers. They are the real heros, and we are merely assisting them with supplies like washclothes, antiseptic, gloves, soap, a notebook to keep records of patients and their status, etc. It was with so much pride that the caregivers opened their "caregiver kits" (my friend Cassie is in charge of this project!) and showed me the contents one by one. They give of themselves so selflessly. They asked for prayer for their minds as their tasks are often very emotional...caring for the dying and orphans.
Well, that's a snapshot of my trip so far. One week to go...it will go fast and soon I'll be home to be with my nephew and sister! I'm going to try to really soak this week in because it's probably one of my last (maybe my last) trip for awhile since we're going to have a baby soon!!!
Our dossier was accepted this morning...so we're officially on the waiting list. Hooray!
1 comment:
So excited for you, Sarah and Mark! Time will fly by for you, though it crawls ( for me) while you are in Africa. Hurry home.
Post a Comment