(this is a crosspost from my new blog. I'd be happy to give any of my readers here access--it is a private blog--just leave a comment here with your email address and I will add you to the access list)
Hard to believe I am starting a new blog, but, I think this will be the simplest way to keep people up to
speed on the latest. I know many of you want more information, so
hopefully this will be a place to find it.
So what's happened? The week after Mark and I ran the Seattle half
marathon (Nov. 27th), Mark found a lump on his neck. We assumed it was a
swollen lymph node, which it was. Swollen lymph nodes can be caused by
numerous things: bacterial infections, mono, viruses, TB or lymphoma.
Mark was not sick nor had any symptoms that pointed to anything. He saw a
specialist the week of December 5th, and he took a needle biopsy to
determine if the swollen lymph node was a result of a metastasized
cancer from the thyroid or another area of the body. He also started on a
round of antibiotics in case it was an infection. We were sure it was
just an infection. The needle biopsy came back showing that there were
atypical cells, but that there were no signs of metastasized malignancy,
but the Dr. wanted to surgically remove the node so that the diagnosis
was more conclusive. We took this to mean that there was no cancer at
all (it was nice to assume that for two weeks because we didn't worry
much). On December 20th, Mark had the enlarged lymph node removed under
general anesthesia. We received word the next day that the diagnosis was
pointing toward Classical Hodgkin's Lymphoma. We were shocked, but oddly calm about it.
Mark identified a wonderful oncologist,
who will be managing his care. The next steps are to identify the stage
of his lymphoma and determine the course of treatment. He has a PET
scan this afternoon at 2pm to determine if and where the cancer has
spread. We are praying that it is localized in the one area of nodes
where the enlarged node was found. Tomorrow we will meet with a different oncologist since our regular guy is on vacation, to (we hope) find out the
results of the PET scan and see what Mark's options for treatment are.
If it is early stage (I or II) then it will likely be a combination of
chemotherapy and radiation. If it is later stage, it will probably be
chemotherapy alone. Though I can speculate about the length of treatment
based on what I've read, I will spare you all my speculations since we
should know much more tomorrow and I can update you then.
Fortunately, Hodgkin's is a very treatable, even curable cancer. With
very high survival rates, we are hopeful that we will make it through
this journey together and come out better on the other side of it. We
know it is going to be a very rough year for us--it sort of feels like
we are about to start an IronMan without any training. We are so
thankful for the outpouring of support, prayers, encouragement, offers
for help and more over the last week. We will definitely need help once
Mark starts treatment and we figure out what those needs are. I will
likely post a link to a calendar of our needs here on this blog later
on.
Emotionally, this has been a rollercoaster for us already. Some days we
feel very hopeful, other days I feel like I've been punched in the
stomach all day. It's all part of processing this, and I'm grateful that
I'm allowing myself to do that--so that I can better support Mark as
his primary caregiver down the road.
For now, please pray and/or hope that it's stage I or II.
I won't be updating this blog with daily news about Mark since I have the other blog for that purpose. So, if you want to follow along with our journey with cancer, please let me know by commenting or sending me an email so I can add you to the access list. I will however, be posting some pictures of the kids from December, because even though it was a roller coaster, there were some definite highs to help balance out the low-lows.
18 comments:
LOVE you.
Sarah and Mark- so sorry to hear about this. Your family inspires us everyday and I know getting through this together will just add to the reasons we admire you. If you don't mind Sean and I would definitely appreciate being added to the list to stay updated. Thanks, and please let us know what we can do from the east coast to support you...
I don't know your family personally, but I have been reading your blog for a while now. I'll be praying for your family.
If possible, I would like to be added to the access list for the new blog, but understand if you want to keep it private for family and friends.
christinemariebarry@gmail.com
Oh, Sarah. Know that I am thinking of your family today, as I will be every day until what currently lies before Mark is long behind him. I carry your family in my heart, Sarah. You will never be without someone's thoughts on this journey.
Wow. So sorry to hear the bad news, but glad and hopeful for you about the type of lymphoma that it is. How wonderful to catch it so early on.
Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry that this must be a very scary time for you. I'd love to follow the other blog. atthewatershed at gmail dot com.
Thanks! (Amanda)
We would love to check in on the new blog as well, so we can be praying along with you. I don't know what else to say, my heart hurts for your family.
We would love to check in on the new blog as well, so we can be praying along with you. I don't know what else to say, my heart hurts for your family.
Oh, So sorry to hear the bad news! I am praying for you!
I would really like to read your new blog! My email adrress is:
rebeka.zorec@gmail.com
Dear Sarah and Mark, I am praying for your healing...I have loved reading your blog and the adventures of your family. Please add me to access of your new blog with updates of Mark's progress and treatment. You continue to be an inspiration. Love and peace to your family.
Can you add me, Sarah? Thanks - annabragdon@yahoo.com. Lots of love to everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all happy and healthy in the New Year!!
I'd like to follow along on this new journey. Zehlahlum@gmail.com You are all in my prayers!
I'm so sorry to hear about this news... I'd love to follow your other blog, if you don't mind - shaunasinclair1@comcast.net
So so sorry to hear about this news. I used to follow an adoption blog and still look at it occasionally: http://gossettadoption.blogspot.com(Our Journey as Family). She was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in Oct 2009. The first post about her diagnosis is Oct. 30th 2009. I know they had a private blog to keep family and friends updated and that might have more detailed information about their journey. Just thought that might be helpful for you guys to see/read someone else's journey through this. I'd be interested in checking your other blog for updates if your comfortable with that. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
So so sorry to hear about this news. I used to follow an adoption blog and still look at it occasionally: http://gossettadoption.blogspot.com(Our Journey as Family). She was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in Oct 2009. The first post about her diagnosis is Oct. 30th 2009. I know they had a private blog to keep family and friends updated and that might have more detailed information about their journey. Just thought that might be helpful for you guys to see/read someone else's journey through this. I'd be interested in checking your other blog for updates if your comfortable with that. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Praying for your family! I was introduced to your blog by Kelly Rees and I'd love to follow your new one as well! rikah_1823@hotmail.com
I've been following your blog for a while and was so sorry to hear this news. If you don't mind, I'd like to follow the new blog. Your family is in my prayers.
keller7@gmail.com
Wow! So sad to hear about this news. I will be praying for Mark and your family. We would love to be added to the other blog list to follow your journey and know better how we can pray for you guys. ryanandtrinawade@hotmail.com.
Post a Comment