Tuesday, November 08, 2011

A Day in the Life of my FIVE year old


November 8, 2011: Today he turned five. He was excited. He couldn't wait to tell his friends, "I'm five!" Today was special. I took the day off of work and spent it making him feel like King for a day. Waking to streamers and the birthday banner, little boxes of sugar cereal, opened nerf guns (little lighted ball for Bereket), and watched the movie "Rio" which they loved. Then we headed downtown on the train for lunch out (did I really just take three kids out to lunch at a sit down restaurant...alone?! Yes, and I was the one who spilled the whole up of water on the floor :-). This afternoon I was a guest teacher in Ashen's class, which was so fun for me, though I was a little nervous to be honest. I did a lesson on diversity: "we're all different, but we're all the alike" complete with a craft, puppet show and a story. Then on to banging open a pinata---a first for most of the kids in the class. Ashen chose that over cupcakes. It was filled with glow bracelets, dinosaur tattoos and 2 pieces of candy each, leftover from Halloween loot. They had so much fun!! Tonight we had BBQ chicken sandwiches and a bacon spinach salad, which Ashen said was his favorite meal ever. He opened two gifts (walkie talkies from us and books from Aunt Judy) and had a low-key evening as a family. Ashen's loved every bit of it! So blessed to have such a special 5 year old boy!! Today,  I think of the special woman who gave birth to this miracle in my life five years ago. I'm sure she is thinking of him today too, and I pray she knows how grateful I am for the gift of our son.


His birthday in photos:































Happy Birthday, Ashen!


10 comments:

mary said...

SO special! What a wonderful day. Happy birthday, Ashen!

Cami said...

Happy Birthday sweet Ashen! So wish I could have been there to celebrate with you on your special day :-) The pictures show what a special day you had!

hotflawedmama said...

Love this. My, my that kid is gorgeous!

Heidi said...

What a great day! I can't believe he is 5 years old already! It seems like just yesterday we saw the photo of him for the first time and had your baby shower in the conference room downstairs at WV! So special!

We were at the mall yesterday and walked by Nordstrom and Oliver say, "Momma, Nordstrom Cafe - go in here!" - I like that they learn early. :-)

Anonymous said...

WOW! That maybe looks like the best birthday EVER! Happy Birthday Ash!! Love you SOOOO much!!

xoxo
H

Amanda said...

5? Crazy.

Mama Papaya said...

What a perfect kind of day. Happiest birthday wishes to your FIVE year old!

Chris and Cassie said...

I have FINALLY caught up on your entries! How sweet is this! He is a precious one and has the greatest mama ever!

Anonymous said...

We absolutely adore your family...so cute! Happy birthday Ashen!!

Love,
Sean & Gina

alyssa Haws said...

I just stumbled onto your blog. We recently adopted from Ethiopia and I'm wondering how you did your son's hair. I'm still trying to figure the hair thing out.