Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ashen's School Vision

I got a punch-in-the gut feeling yesterday. It hit me pretty hard that Ashen will be turning 5 in a couple weeks and entering kindergarten next fall. I'm a bit sentimental about this 'first child growing up' thing and though Mr. A is certainly mature and will be ready for K, I can't  help but feel like I blinked and the last 4.5 years disappeared. "The days are long but the years are short," could not feel like a truer statement.

We are lucky we have a great neighborhood school that fulfills our desire for racial, economic diversity, and quality education. In our city, we no longer have 'choice' when it comes to school. It's neighborhood school or private school (with a couple option school lottos thrown in there), so I feel very fortunate that I like our local school. It's time to go to open house and begin early enrollment. The time has come. This morning on the way to preschool, we passed by the elementary as we do every day, and I pointed it out again to Ashen.

Me: Ashen, hey there is the school you get to go to next year
Ashen: Mom, I really love school. Will Torin get to go there too?
Me: After you go there for a year, then Torin will go there too. You'll both be there together for five years!
Ashen: Will I get to keep going to school when I'm bigger, like an adult?
Me: Yep, that's called college. You get to go there until you're 22, and then you can keep going if you want.
Ashen: Silence. Thinking.

I am happy that for now I have an eager learner, who is excited about school. He says he loves everything about school (especially the exercise bike and art projects). One of my strengths I recently identified through Strengthsfinder is "Developer." I recognize and cultivate the potential in others. This is truer for my kids than anyone else. I love to see the people they are, their God-given strengths and talents, and want them to be able to build on those to be the best they can be. I see school as a way for my kids to figure out what their interests are and explore them. I am hopeful that their new school will a perfect (as perfect as any school can be!) fit.

Vision Statement:

At (Ashen's School) we believe that changing the world is possible

We want kids to love
life
learning
challenge
and each other

We want kids to become
advocates for social justice
caretakers of the planet

compassionate citizens
who understand and honor our global community


We want kids to remain curious 
to become responsible
philosophers
thinkers
leaders
filled with empathy and courage

We want kids to 
wear out library cards
write the next great novel
solve unsolvable equations
investigate mysterious phenomena

We want school to be a joyful place
filled with learning and laughter
where our halls ring with
song
dance
and art

We want school to be a place
with room to fall down
get back up happy kids
and take the next step

We want school to be a place
where everyone feels included
all cultures are celebrated
and our differences make us stronger

We want school to be a place where kids and adults feel 
safe
loved
supported
successful

We want to be gentle with ourselves as we learn, change, and grow
We want to find joy and balance as we tinker with imperfection

At (Ashen's School) we believe that changing the world is possible

4 comments:

Deirdre said...

Wow, I want to go to that school!

Johanna said...

This is their official vision? How fantastic! Ashen will thrive there.

I can't believe he's almost 5 either. Obviously we don't have the same feelings regarding his age, but yes, time has flown by. Amazing... Your little boy is so mature and grown. You've done such a great job letting him be the wonderful boy he is.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he likes school. He's so smart, I think he's really going to love it there. (And I love that he asked about TT!)
xoxo
H

hotflawedmama said...

so awesome