Thursday, October 28, 2010

It is Well


It is hard to believe that we met our precious girl more than five months ago. The summer went by in an instant and is very blurry for me. The first three months home were very difficult for me. The transition home triggered major anxiety, something I had never experienced before, and was very debilitating and scary for me. The worst part was that I had difficulty sleeping, which created a vicious cycle of anxiety and sleep deprivation. I was anxious about our family and how my life and outlook seemed to change so profoundly with the addition of Bereket. I was worried that I could not meet her needs in the way she needed them to be met. I was overwhelmed by the needs of my three young kids. It took me time to get to know her, and of course I am still getting to know her. She is a very smart and complex little girl. Those who meet her often comment within minutes about her advanced emotional intelligence. She comprehends things beyond her years. She studies people. She reacts appropriately (for a much older child) to situations. For example, on the day that we took custody of her in Addis, we were at the care center for the last time and as she was handed over to us and we were socializing with other families in the main room, she kept looking back at the door to her bedroom and reaching out for it with urgency. She had not done that any other time. She knew it was her last time there and was panicking. No other child in our group responded that way. Often I feel as though I'm relating with a forty year old trapped inside an infant's body. Since we met, she's been aching to communicate verbally. She often becomes frustrated when she doesn't get what she wants, though this has improved so much over the last couple of months.

I am happy to say that I had a dramatic reversal about 2 months ago. After my third acupuncture appointment, suddenly all was well. Yes, it was that abrupt. I went in to the appointment still feeling anxious, had a nauseous pit in my stomach for 3 months, didn't have an appetite, had lost 10 pounds, couldn't sleep, etc. I left feeling hungry and without a stomach ache. I am a woman who relies heavily on my faith, and had been praying so much that God would heal me and that I would feel like myself again. I also did a lot to try to get out of the funk: counseling, doctor, acupuncture, running, 'me' time, etc. I was not willing to settle that this was the way life was for me. Though I knew that God could make it better without me doing anything, I wanted to give Him as many opportunities as possible to work. I often felt like my wheels were spinning. Hope and God's presence were not always evident. But, it was many of you who encouraged me that it would get better and that life would not always be "like this" that kept me hopeful. God is good.

My relationship with my beloved Bereket continues to grow. I look at her with admiration for her strength, her patience with me and for her sparkly spirit. Though our journey started with a few bumps, I do think it has bonded us in a way that I may not have experienced if it had been easy.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

apriljahns said...

I'm glad you are feeling like yourself again. It's no fun being in those dark places so its great you let everyone know about your journey so others who are going through similar times can have hope that they too will emerge on the other side, healthy and whole.

Johanna said...

it is great to read that you are feeling well -and have been feeling so for a couple of months now. You explain so perfectly how people who go through moments of depression / anxiety / sadness may feel. God did uphold you and your family and did walk with you throughout these months.

And oh my, I cannot wait to meet Bereket one day. She does sound so wonderful and wise.

I am thinking of you often :)

mary said...

Love you.

Meg said...

it is good to read your journey to here. Many blessings as you continue to provide healing and strength for eachother.

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

Your Ma is resting easier. I am proud of your persistence in finding a way out. Love you!

Cami said...

I'm so happy you are doing better. And so thankful for our friendship. You are such a strong person, an incredible mom, wife and friend.

The Redman's said...

Oh-- I would love to get together and finally meet your Bereket! I've definitely had my time of anxious/depressed moments through our wait. I feel like I lost myself for awhile....

I'm so happy that's you're doing better. God carries us through these tough times.

Let's plan something soon!!!

-suzi

cathy said...

I am so, so relieved for you. I love that you're settling in, and don't forget God picked you to be a momma to 3. He knows what He's up to.