He's 3!
Yesterday we celebrated Big A's birthday starting with a very early morning (aka 6am) reveal of "the Big Wheel." Backstory: Our 6 year Neighbor Boy (NB) has a big wheel. Over the last year, as Ashen grew tall enough to actually reach the pedals on the Big Wheel, he became increasingly interested in riding the Big Wheel. NB did not really like sharing the Big Wheel with his little 2 year old neighbor friend and would reluctantly allow Ashen to ride it occasionally, but often berated him for not riding it properly, or going to far, or (fill in the blank). It was not pretty. His mom whispered to me one day that while they are away during the day (both parents work and the Big Wheel is left out in their driveway), Ashen was welcome to ride it. So, take advantage of the offer he did! Unfortunately, NB caught on because Ashen had to move the seat up every time he rode, and we often forgot to move the seat back. Oops! NB began hiding his Big Wheel under his dad's motorcycle cover, or under their camping trailer. Obvious sign. So, for the last couple months, I've let the Big Wheel be off limits, so as not to upset NB. Ashen pined for it daily, as did Torin (who enjoys just sitting on it and using his feet to walk it around) and so this became a very obvious 3rd birthday present. Ashen was thrilled and said, "this is just like NB's!" NB has not yet seen the Big Wheel. I can't wait to see his reaction :)After a blueberry muffin breakfast, the four of us (Mark took the morning off--and yay, he's home safe and sound. I must post the spellbinding trials and tribulations of "A Mom Left Home Alone with Two Small Children While Dad Gallivants around Switzerland" at a later date) took off for an Amtrak station 45 minutes from our home. Though we were late for the original train departure time, fortunately the train was late. Ashen informed us after he prayed that the train would be on time that "the train will be waiting for us when we get there." Right he was...in fact we had to wait for it. Gosh, that was way too close--I can't imagine the disappointment if we missed the only available train of the day. So, the boys all took off on the train toward The City, while I hopped back in the car to chase them (not really, but one of us had to meet the train on the other side). It was the boys first time on an Amtrak Train--the Empire Builder that was coming from Chicago--and Mark said they loved it. No explanation is necessary for why this was the birthday treat, if you've been reading our blog for any length of time.
We ended his birthday with Ashen's choice of "Hotdogs at Costco!" Yes, that is my son's favorite meal out. Easy. He danced his way around the food court, and he and Torin found the drink vending machine buttons thrilling.
Keeping with the spirit of my boys' birthdays, here's a snapshot of Ashen at three:
-Sensitive spirit. He is intuitive beyond his years and very sensitive to others' pain (though you can also catch him laughing when one gets hurt too). He feels things very deeply and ponders more than any 3 year old I know.
-Favorites
- Food: Cheese, deli turkey, fruit and raw veggies. Does not like: pizza, most dinners (prefers to eat lunch), cooked mushrooms.
- Books: Curious George, Thomas, Caribbean Dream, Caps for Sale, Trains and Planes
- Activities: Brushing teeth, bathing, wooden train, going to the park, riding trikes/big wheel outside, playing in the sink, playing with cars, jumping off of anything, watching train shows
I love age three already. It's so magical to watch my sons grow into themselves and to see their personalities revealed more every day. Ashen and I have some different temperament traits, which is making discovering him even more exciting for me. He is such a beautiful child, inside and out, and I count myself lucky every day to be his mom.
10 comments:
Hooray! What a fun day! I love that look of anticipation on his face waiting for the train- beautiful! Costco hot dogs? Love it!
xoxo
H
Happy Birthday Ashen!!!!
Wow, what a fun birthday! That Big Wheel looks great! We miss you & hope to see you soon, Ashen!
I'm finally catching up on your blog. It sounds like you guys had a wonderful day celebrating my favorite 3 year old :). Here's to you guys for raising such an incredible kid! I tried to post something on FB yesterday, but it wasn't working for some reason.
Happy Birthday Ashen!
Oh that's a great birthday! I can't wait to read about the "mom left alone adventures"!
P.S. thanks again for that great mushroom recipe - if you haven't noticed, we loved it! :)
Happy birthday Ashen!! what a funny story about the big wheel!
Great stories, thx!
What a wonderful eye you have. The big wheel photo has so much movement and is such a beautiful composition. Ashen is beautiful, too, and one gets a glimpse of his grownup self in this shot. (sorry, Mom, I know you don't even want to think about your baby as a grownup.) Anyway, wow.
love, Dede
The train was a GREAT idea. Love the pictures of my boys.
Happy Birthday Ashen! It sounds like an absolutely lovely day. Though I do think next time you should just hop on that Amtrack train going the other direction and come visit us! I really can't wait until the day Ashhen and Elijah can play together. I think they'd be wonderful friends!
Post a Comment