Thursday, October 09, 2008
My Morning Ritual
It began with a job in high school, working at two pretty scummy espresso stands, one right outside of a grocery store, the other a drive through cracker box on the outer gates of a Naval Base. The hours were horrible: 5am-1pm on weekends, and weekdays after school. It was also freezing. With a whole shelf full of syrups strung up on the cement wall behind me, and my eyelids having a hard time opening, I began to experiment with different concoctions. I was not a coffee lover. Up until then, I enjoyed italian sodas and mint hot chocolate. But, I have always loved the smell of coffee, and when you're making it all day, it ropes you in (it has a way or working its way into our lives, doesn't it?). First it was mochas with an additional flavor, like mint or carmel, or even raspberry. Oh, the sweet syrupy taste of a "Snickers" or "Milky Way" mocha. I could tolerate coffee! Actually, I couldn't even taste the coffee.
Over time my tastes have refined themselves. I'm not a black coffee drinker, but I do love my morning vanilla latte. I can do without the vanilla, but then I add some raw sugar. I like coffee with a touch of sweetness. I think I've mentioned before that I also like coffee from the evil empire. They are local, and I used to work there and I have a wee bit of stock in them. Both my neighbors work there, and my brother-in-law, so it sort of feels like I'm supporting family--especially since they've been in a severe down slump of late (well, actually that has all new meaning since pretty much everyone is in a down slump). Okay, I don't need to justify my love of Starbucks. I just do like the strong, dark taste of their espresso, and I whip it up several mornings a week with my old tried and true machine, the Barista.
It's best on the weekends when Mark is here to enjoy a cup with me...but when he's not, I sip it and think about what a great day I have ahead of me. I think it has some magical good feeling powers :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ahhhh! I sure could use a cup right now! Thanks again for the washing instructions. Steph feels a lot better now that she knows how to care for her beautiful nursing cover!
I'm so with you! We have tried to cut back our budget in so many ways, but great coffee beans are not to be cut... I've always dreamed of a Barista! Enjoy a cup for me!
Hi Sarah! I have been enjoying reading your blog but haven't done much commenting. I don't hold your liking Starbucks against you - I get a lot of flack for it too. But it's just good! I'm also inspired by your food post to be a little more creative with meal planning. And I think I want to learn to sew now too.... See what an influence you have!
Starbucks is good. In Paris I saw a bunch and felt very American and proud (in my own country, mind you!). Vanilla lattes are also part of my morning habit. Here I drink tea by the bucket, but I have the secret hope that Joe will pick me up in Dec with a cupe of skinny vanilla latte in hand ("yes, I will kiss you hello, just give me a minute to say hi to this gorgeous latte!").
Post a Comment