Saturday, July 18, 2009

Confessions


This week I feel failed as a mother. Don't balk--you'll agree after I list the afflictions:
  • Baby hand burned on hot iron I left on the FLOOR
  • Baby flipped out of the Costco Cart--180 degrees onto his back
  • Baby swallows remnants of water balloon left on grass in backyard
  • = 3 calls to the nurse. I think she may call CPS (if one of you doesn't call first!)
A panicked call to my husband after third affliction caused me to feel like Mt. St. Helens was brewing. Dutiful husband dashed home (1 hour and 20 minute bus ride in construction and traffic) to rescue me and I spent an hour at the beach reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society while forgetting all my woes.

Baby's okay. I'm okay.

13 comments:

Christina said...

Ugh, sorry for the crummy week. Glad your knight was able to rescue you, and baby looks great as always! :)

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

A scary week! TT ATE the water balloon?

Cat said...

Oh my! What a week! I hope next week is better.

We should get the kids together sometime. We'll come to W Seattle if you have time.

~ Cat

Amanda said...

I know what that feels like all too well. You are not alone friend!

I have sent up urgent SOS's to Josh several times. Sometimes the best remedy is a little space.

Love you.

I loved that book by the way!

Deirdre said...

Oh, Sarah. That's not a good week at all—but of course you know you're still a fabulous mother, right? And what a husband to bus it home to relieve you. I'm sure that was just the rest you needed to get back on your game.

A few weeks ago, after I drove off with Sidamo unbuckled in his car seat for the THIRD TIME IN A WEEK, Sidamo asked, "Mommy, why don't you care about my safety?"

Ugh. Mom of the Year awards for us both.

Anonymous said...

It happens to us all! J-M did a complete flip and fell out of his stroller the other day and escaped just fine. Just when we turn our head away for just one measly second... something happens! So glad you got a break. See you soon! =) A.L.H.

D said...

I'll scoot over and make room for you on the World's Worst Mother bench. Be warned: It's really crowded here.

But, then again, I haven't been off the bench in about 4 years, so I don't know how to compare it to the Good Mother's bench! ;)

Johanna said...

Sarah, sh*t happens. Okay, it happened 3 times in a week and every time I am sure your heart broke because your baby was hurting. You are an amazing mom, period. And going to the beach to relax was probably the best thing to do. Recharge these batteries and go back to the glorious insanity of mommy-hood :) And hopefully this week to come will be great, sans incident.

cathy said...

love you all the more! i have weeks like that alot, and it humbles me and causes me to pray a whole lot harder for our kids. you are a wonderful mom! ;)

Mama Papaya said...

Oh Mama. The week you've had. It happens. It does. To every last one of us.

Hang in there. You've had your three.

Love,

The Mama who's baby bounced headfirst down concrete steps this week.

Here's to kids who don't bruise easily and to them being young enough to forget!

House of richteR said...

So sorry you had such a rough week (last week)! UGH. I remember how awful I felt when Isaac rolled off the futon onto the floor at 7 months old and when I watched him fall backwards down the stairs from where I stood at the top. Mistakes do happen...just remember to be present as much as possible and pray for the other times.

Love,
Rach

apriljahns said...

You are in good company. Ryan has come home early many times after I call and break down in tears over the phone. I can't imagine being a single mom. No husband to rescue me! I don't know how my mom did it.

Chatter said...

Ughhh.... I can definitely relate here. And what a husband to rush home! That's really sweet.