We visited four parks last weekend--the boys were in heaven. Again, it was the beginning of packing in fun now that the weather is warming, and our remodel is no longer a weekend-thief. I try to take them to a park every day, just to get their energy out and to interact with other kids. This park is a couple minutes drive (yes, I know that means less than a 20 minute walk, but it's completely uphill, so I like to drive to this park unless I need a thigh-burning workout). We love that most of the families who frequent this park are East African. It is a beautiful thing to watch my oldest son play amidst kids that look like him in so many ways. It reminds me of how white our other parks are, and encourages me to continue to seek diversity even in our play spaces. It is inevitable that Ashen will feel like a minority in school, in our neighborhood, in local stores, etc--it's the nature of this city (and of the United States as a whole), but as much as we can embrace communities where he feels less different, the better.
This concept is something that is hugely challenging to me, and often on my mind as I navigate places where both my children feel safe and accepted. Things are different now that we have an African-American son. I never want our involvement in communities of color to be un-authentic or forced, or something we do *only* because of our children. Then again, as a trans-racial adoptive family, we are different than 99% of families in the US--and by definition we will likely always work to find a place where we fit. We also have to continue to keep Torin's perspective in mind as well. Growing up with siblings of color is an experience that Mark nor I have had. We have much to contemplate. Much to learn. We are learning as we go, trying to soak in other's experiences and guidance. It's worth it though, totally worth it, and we are and will be much richer for it.
This concept is something that is hugely challenging to me, and often on my mind as I navigate places where both my children feel safe and accepted. Things are different now that we have an African-American son. I never want our involvement in communities of color to be un-authentic or forced, or something we do *only* because of our children. Then again, as a trans-racial adoptive family, we are different than 99% of families in the US--and by definition we will likely always work to find a place where we fit. We also have to continue to keep Torin's perspective in mind as well. Growing up with siblings of color is an experience that Mark nor I have had. We have much to contemplate. Much to learn. We are learning as we go, trying to soak in other's experiences and guidance. It's worth it though, totally worth it, and we are and will be much richer for it.

5 comments:
I love Ashen doing is spinning or whatever! So great!
-H
LOVE the last picture! They are just runnin' wild! We have been visiting our local park(s) too! Isn't it nice to finally have NICE weather!!! I understand your parent feelings in always wanting your children to feel accepted and loved for who they are...I'm sorry that in 2009 that even has to be something on your radar. Just know that WE all love you and see no difference in the boys - all we see is a family we love and care about! :)
Good thoughts. We're in the dance with you.
You guys are such an amazing family! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...may God's hand be upon you all as you navigate the path!
Anya
Your friend Catherine sent me this way. Your boys are beautiful. We are beginning that dance of making connections with color in our community. A bit tricky this far north, but not impossible. However it will take real effort.
Our we just need to adopt a few more and encourage our neighbors to do the same.
Post a Comment