Monday, November 24, 2008

MIA

Long story short: our computer broke (someone who shall remain nameless tipped a cup of water over onto the computer and it fizzled) the day after the election, and we got a new one last week. However, during the two week computer famine, I fell out of love with the computer and began filling my internet time with all sorts of more worthwhile activities. Well, actually it's just been a really busy couple of weeks, so not having a computer probably was just perfect timing so I didn't go over the edge.

So, I have a lot of catching up to do! Here are some highlights: Since my last update, Ashenafi turned 2, Mark turned 3-0 and all of our new rooms are now complete with real walls--and a couple even have paint on them already! Torin has been sick for 4 days with the croup (yes, the same thing as the baby in Ann of Green Gables has) and has been whimpering, clingy and oh, so sad. I've never had a sick baby--wow, nothing like a sick baby to hurt a mama's heart. I also got sick last week (not with the croup), but am fully recovered now. We hosted a big family birthday party at our house on Saturday to celebrate Mark and Ashen's birthday and to honor Mark's mom and my grandma who all had birthdays the same week!

For Mark's birthday I took him out to a nice restaurant overlooking the water (it was dark, so we just saw city lights and sail boat outlines in the marina below) and ate like royalty. Hot Crab and lobster dip, seafood stew, scallops, tiger prawns and halibut, topped off with a chocolate raspberry mousse cake...mmmm. Our second dinner out together this year, and it was fabulous. The good thing about never going out is that when we do, we feel so grateful and really go enjoy what the restaurant has to offer (within some reason) without feeling like we need to scrimp (we're frugal-ish by nature).

This week the goal is for Torin to recover and to get ready for Thanksgiving. We're celebrating with my mom and sister's family this year. I'm in charge of the green beans, sweet potatoes, rolls, apple pie and an appetizer. Sheesh, now that I write that out, that's a lot! Hopefully I'll have time to whip these things up. I love to cook, but time is so lacking lately (compounded by Torin never wanting to be more than 2 inches from me when he's awake).

I have more specific posts coming...Ashen's birthday deserves a post of its own, so I'll do that later. He had such a great day and week being the birthday boy.

Hope everyone is having a great 3 day work week (for most, that is)!

6 comments:

jayme said...

Isn't it amazing how freeing life can feel without computers and cell phones and other gadgets? (after the initial how-will-i-ever-live-without-it panic subsides.)

Happy Birthday to both Ashen and Mark! Feel better soon, Torin.

Jean Wagner A Change of Art said...

Forget the appetizer and the pie is optional. YOU signed up to do all that!! xo Mom

Kelly said...

Yeah!!!! Glad to see your back.. :) Missed your stories/updates about you and you family...love you! I'm happy to hear you are feeling better and hope that lil Torin gets better quickly. I love your reference to Anne of Green Gables...did we ever figure out which one of us was Anne and which one of us was Dianna???? :) Have a great week! I, TOO, am in charge of the apple pie! But, the only other thing I am bringing is a green salad and the ingredients for Crantini's. Happy Thanksgiving!

mary said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're back... missed your updates. And I didn't know you and Mark were so into seafood-yummy! Can't wait to see photos (Mike told me how wonderful the walls look!) and hope Torin makes a speedy recovery. Love, m

Anonymous said...

yes! pix of the walls soon, please! :-)
M

Deirdre said...

Missed you! Sidamo (I'm not feeling benevolent enough to offer anonymity yet) poured a sippy cup full of water onto Greg's laptop this evening and fried it too. I guess this is what people mean when they say kids are expensive.

Happy Thanksgiving, and happy birthday to (almost) the whole fam!