Just as people have recently started to tell me that I'm finally really "looking pregnant" (ie. round, large, etc), I'm starting to really feel pregnant. After the initial few months of terrible nausea and utter lethargia, my pregnancy has been smooth and uneventful. Only recently has it began to become difficult to get out of bed (several times) in the middle of the night or to pull myself off of the couch (to go to the bathroom...again), or to stand and make dinner. Only recently have my ribs begun to feel the brunt of little guy's kicks, and my lungs began to feel compressed--especially during Braxton Hicks contractions. Only recently have I begun savoring days when there is nothing on the calendar in hopes that I'll have a few moments of rest while Ashen is napping. Of course, I'm not hoping to give birth any earlier than 37 weeks, but I'm beginning to see how God really designs women to grow tired of pregnancy in order to see labor as a potential respite.
Unbelievably, I'm (and Mark) also beginning to look forward to labor with anticipation and (honestly) excitement. Most of this is due to the fabulous childbirth classes we took over the last four Saturdays. We had a really terrific instructor who taught us all about the various stages of labor and various breathing techniques, positions to relieve pain, and ways to distract oneself from pain (through visualization, breathing, hot tubbing, etc). What was SO unknown for Mark and me now seems to be somewhat revealed. Of course, we know that every single labor and delivery is unique and that the textbook case is not indicative of our experience, but somehow uncovering some of the mystery has been very empowering. We're also thrilled that our childbirth class instructor is also going to be our doula (professional labor coach). We will be personally coached with all the skills and techniques she brought to our childbirth class! This is so exciting for Mark and me because we'd really like to attempt a natural childbirth and with Kim's coaching, and a whole heck of a lot of perseverance, it seems possible. We also have a great group of midwives we're working with too, one who will be there to help and coach as much as possible, however, we felt best about having a doula too because midwives can't predict how many simultaneous labors will be happening while ours is, so their time may be stretched thin.
We're really looking forward to welcoming this new baby into our family. Whenever we see newborns lately, we both just feel a rush of love and excitement for our little boy. We can't wait to see his face and gaze at him in his first moments of life. With Christmas coming, time seems to be flying faster than ever, so soon, very soon I'm sure we'll greet him with loads of love and this watermelon will deflate.
8 comments:
Ohhh you are neither "round" nor "large"...I saw you yesterday and you look ABSOLUTELY perfect!! Happy and radiant!! It was so good to see you and get a chance to visit. Although brief, I'm so glad I got to see you before baby boy #2 makes his debut into the world...can't wait to hear the final decision on a name!! :)
Love all of you,
Kelly
I think you are more beautiful than ever., inside and out.
I bet you look adorable! Pics! Come on, I'll add myself to the demand listees. Blessings!
And it is possible! You can do it, it's what we're made to do. You'll be great. The home stretch is here, yea!
You look gorgeous, Sarah :)
i checked back in to see the pics...you look bee-yoo-tee-ful friend!! As always!
Kelly
double ditto your mother's comment......a most lovely person/niece, inside and out. Thanks, as always, for posting; really helps me to feel caught up. The birth of your babe extends Christmas joy for us all.
M
Look at you! You're almost there now. Thanks so much for your post on my blog. It's kinda crazy to have two big additions in quick succession, but very exciting. Can't wait to read your good news and see pics of baby number two!
Post a Comment